Monday, October 23, 2006

Enter the ark

So, I'm reading the New York Times at lunch, and I turn the page, and there it is. Page A15 - the whole page - a sermon called "Enter the Ark" by Pastor Ock Soo Park.

It was ... amazing.

I don't generally do this sort of thing, but I can't help myself. So, here goes...

There were three major parts to this sermon. They were threaded throughout, but I'll look at them in chunks: Tommy, the Ark, and God's plan for you!

"Tommy" is a man who attended a conference in Los Angeles (the pastor is having one of these in New York's Madison Square Garden Nov 16-19 - free of charge! Whoo-hoo!) - Tommy was a mess. He walked with a cane, had been doing drugs for 40 years (he's now 52), "had many diseases", lived homeless and a beggar, then married a Korean woman who loved him but he still spent all her money on drugs. The pastor preached at him and told him to "throw away that cane of yours" and then headed off for Atlanta and Dallas to hold conferences there. When he came back to LA who do you think he saw?

Have you been reading ahead?

Yes, it was Tommy,
wearing jeans and a white jacket. He looked brand-new and young.

"Tommy, jeans look really good on you. You should wear jeans from now on. You look really good, and you look very young."
Well, Tommy had thrown away his cane. He was now playing "basketball with some students" and planned to buy a treadmill. The pastor tells us he
saw Tommy entering Jesus [no, dirty mind! It's a metaphor - "entering Jesus = entering the Ark" - I'll get to it in a minute] and becoming free from sin which had always suppressed him. I saw him being freed from diabetes, the palsy, and many other diseases.
Now, of course we don't know anything more about Tommy. The man might not even exist - but I'll give the pastor the benefit of the doubt. The pastor adds that he's
seen how the lives of murderers, death row inmates, Russian mafia members, and drug addicts changed through meeting Jesus.
I'll give him that, too - easily. No one doubts that many people have turned themselves around thinking that Jesus has saved them. As for Tommy - lots of people are helped by placebos, too. But has he actually been cured of diabetes and "many other diseases"? Has any medical person actually checked him out - before and after? Or is Pastor Park promising things he can't deliver?

On to point 2 - the Ark.
God told Noah in Genesis chapter 7, verse 1, Come thou and all thy house into the Ark. It was because the judgment was coming, and the only way to survive the judgment was the ark. Even if one cannot swim and is exhausted, he can have rest and freedom if he enters the ark. However, anyone outside of the ark can only be destroyed no matter how good or honest he is. Genesis tells us about that very well.
Note that: no matter how good or honest he is. We'll come back to that in point 3.

Entering the Ark keeps you safe from the disaster God has brewed up for the rest of the world - and entering Jesus is like that.
If the animals that entered the ark were outside the ark, they would have died in the flood. But once they were in the ark, it was not a problem, not matter how much it rained. It was because the ark blocked out the entire flood, judgment, and curse. In the same way, if you enter Jesus, in your place, He takes the curse, destruction, and misery you should be receiving.
Again, that "should be receiving" bit will be dealt with in the next point. Right now, I'm talking about his ark metaphor. He goes on to tell us a cute little story about being on the ark:
The funny thing about life on the ark was that, if there were a lion, for example, right next to a group of zebras—

[group? there would only have been two...stop interrupting the story!]

The funny thing about life on the ark was that, if there were a lion, for example, right next to a group of zebras, the zebras would hear the lion and become frightened, thinking, "Oh, no! There's a lion next to us!" They would be able to hear the lion, but the lion would be unable to eat them because rooms were made. The zebras would be so free.

"Lion, are you there?"

"What? How dare that zebra talk to me like that!"

"Hey, Lion! You should learn manners from now on. Why do you always try to catch and eat me? [ummm, because god made him a carnivore? Just sayin' ... sorry; back to the story] You should change."

The zebras were always nervous when they ate grass out in the prairies. When lions would come, they would have to run away. But they were so free inside of the ark. They did not need to be nervous; they were at peace. If we, too, enter Christ, we will have such freedom as well.
So, while they were on the ark, the zebras got cocky - being "so free" - and trash-talked the lions - who were, I suppose, not quite "so free". But that's okay, because as soon as the flood waters went down and the ark landed on Mt Ararat, the animals were turned loose... and the lions started chowing down on loud-mouthed zebras. Again.

So what is the moral here? Jesus is eventually going to land somewhere and dump us all out? Before you answer, let's look at point 3 of the sermon.

When the pastor preached at Tommy, this is what he said.
"Disgusting, ugly caterpillars are what become butterflies. This is the providence of God. God made humans filthy and dirty rather than good and honest so that He may save them, making them holy and glorious. Tommy, God has had you live a filthy, sinful life like that of a caterpillar for you to be able to eventually live like a butterfly."
What?

I mean, apart from the serious hate for caterpillars, this doctrine says that "God made humans filthy and dirty rather than good and honest". He goes on
Our lives before meeting Jesus were lives that need to be destroyed. But just as a disgusting caterpillar becomes a pretty butterfly that flies in the sky, we change when we meet Jesus. God made us that way.
Read that again - "God made us that way."

Remember that line about no matter how good or honest he is? Here's how the pastor explains that:
people think that they will be cursed and destroyed if they do something evil, and think that they will be saved and blessed if they do something good. According to these thoughts, every person pursues goodness. But precisely put, true goodness is not helping others or providing relief for others. Jesus, Himself, is good. True wickedness is not murdering, committing adultery, or stealing, but the life outside of Jesus, itself, is evil. Therefore we should not try to do good to receive salvation, but must enter into Jesus.
Yes. You read that right. Here's some more:
If we are outside the ark, no matter how much good we do, we can only be destroyed, but we can receive salvation if we are inside the ark, no matter what evil we may have done.
I won't push the metaphor too much - god did, after all, severely limit the passenger load on the ark - but it's still disquieting. The pastor goes on even more disquietingly:
Salvation depends on whether you are inside or outside the ark. It does not depend on whether you are good or evil.
Read that last bit again: Salvation depends on whether you are inside or outside the ark. It does not depend on whether you are good or evil

So: God makes humans "filthy and dirty rather than good and honest"; "we should not try to do good to receive salvation" because salvation "does not depend on whether you are good or evil".

Salvation does not depend on whether you are good or evil. Not just "salvation through grace not works", but "salvation through grace despite works."

Couple that with that truly repugnant theology of "God made humans filthy and dirty rather than good or honest so that He might save them" and you have a god I wouldn't want to be saved by. Consider the logical ramifications of the pastor's position: no one who has not had Jesus preached at them can be saved, even if they are the saintliest person ever born. They're going to hell. And the evilest son of a bitch who ever lived is saved by believing he's saved, no matter how evil he is (and evil people generally don't believe they're evil; they're full of justifications).
Becoming one with Jesus is uniting with the Word of God regardless of your own thoughts. ... The Word of God says we do not have sin.
But anyone "outside the ark" will be destroyed. And god's okay with that - because it's the way he "made us" to be. Damned and doomed. This is clearly the same god who repeatedly hardened Pharoah's heart so that he could show off to people. As Exodus 10 says
Then the LORD said to Moses, "Go to Pharaoh, for I have hardened his heart and the heart of his servants, that I may perform these signs of Mine among them,and that you may tell in the hearing of your son, and of your grandson, how I made a mockery of the Egyptians and how I performed My signs among them, that you may know that I am the LORD." Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said to him, "Thus says the LORD, the God of the Hebrews, 'How long will you refuse to humble yourself before Me?'"
Talk about mockery: harden the guy's heart, and then get your man to ask him how long he'll stay hardened. What a god.


The pastor has a book, of course. For only $13.95 you can have The Secret of Forgiveness and Being Born Again - "Forgiveness, which is the greatest gift of God, is now revealed." Just remember what God's actually forgiving...

And he's got a website, of course. I'm not giving him a link, but the url is http://www.gnntimes.com for previous sermons, and http://www.ospark.pe.kr for the pastor's very own home page.

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, October 30, 2006 Blogger King Aardvark had this to say...

It's not just Korea of course. When I was getting pre-marriage counselling with my wife's pastor, because of my atheism, we regressed into a long and hard religious discussion. I was told the exact same thing, that an axe murderer who found Jesus was good in the eyes of god, while me, an intelligent, caring atheist, was pure evil. Goodie. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, doesn't it?

 
At 6:18 PM, November 02, 2006 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

You must not fear hell. From what I've read in the Bible, it's not all fun and games, but eternal, yes, ETERNAL flames without relief. I for one, don't wish to spend my afterlife there. I'm much more willing to do a few things that are so unpopular with the leftist, athiest way of thinking. God has blessed me and my family because the faith I have in Him. Jesus DID take away ALL of my sins precicely because I believe that is what God did for me! Nobody can help you once you are judged unrighteous.

You start from the premise that the Bible is fiction and Pastor Park is just another lunatic. Have you ever read the words of love God has given to His people? We turned filthy at the fall of Adam when Satan deceived Adam and Eve into believing they surely would not die when they ate of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Guess what? They DID die spiritually. That was Satan's deception! God wants every one of us, His children, to receive salvation. So much, that He gave His son Jesus Christ to freely bear the entirety of all sins of all people. All we need to do is to humble ourselves to acknowledge that we are filthy and don't deserve God's love, but that we believe that Jesus death AND resurrection took away ALL of my sin! Doesn't seem that difficult, except the humbling part, does it? I've accepted God's gift of salvation. My physical death only means my eternity in heaven will just be beginning. That's not only good news, but it's GREAT NEWS!

 
At 8:34 PM, November 02, 2006 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Gosh, yes, Mr Anonymous, I have indeed read the Bible. It's not even a nice story - the alleged hero is the one saying "Love me or I'll torture you forever". The one who made his creatures without the knowledge of good and evil and then punishes them for doing evil ... and their kids, and their kids, too.

I'm sorry for you, feeling like filth for something you never did. I truly am.

(And you're right - I don't fear hell. It doesn't exist, and I don't fear the nonexistant.)

 
At 12:34 PM, November 03, 2006 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

testing?

 
At 12:41 PM, November 03, 2006 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

ok. haha. I didn't want to write something substantial and it not go through.

but thanks for reading through the article and having enough time to comment on it. I am a church member within the Good News Mission, specifically the Philadelphia church. In light of the Madison Square Garden conference, Pastor Park's sermon has been running in the New York Times since April.

Some have received a change of heart through reading and some have taken a more critical stance with it. Some people read it for the opportunity to satire it or mock it, what have you.

However, the Word of God does have power and I've seen the changes in many people including myself. I am actually really thankful there are individuals such as yourself devoting time to dive in and critique the words. If you open your heart, I can gaurantee a blessing (maybe more than 1!) hehe.

In all seriousness, salvation is the one thing that many churchgoers lack these days, and it makes all their works futile. But if one can work within the sanctification of God, truly having faith in it, then those works count as grace.

God's heart is not "Love me or I'll kill you" We had the choice to go from His children to that of disobedience. And God doesn't force anything on you either. He works and it is never how you think or conceive it.

I ask that you open your heart a little more and I am assuming you're in the NYC area, so please come a few nights to the bible crusade at MSG. Have a listen and I know you will receive much grace.

God bless and keep writing! You have talent!

if you'd like to contact me, please do so at dan.oh@trapezoidhc.com

 
At 9:12 PM, November 06, 2006 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

quote: people think that they will be cursed and destroyed if they do something evil, and think that they will be saved and blessed if they do something good. According to these thoughts, every person pursues goodness. But precisely put, true goodness is not helping others or providing relief for others. Jesus, Himself, is good.

As I see it, this is a standard sales technique gone wrong — the "pastor" has twisted his own message to its detriment. But it starts reasonably enough... take the people who are proud, and think they don't need God... take the people who are hopeless, and think they've screwed up too much to have a chance with God... and tell them that they're wrong. You, the proud one, no matter how good you think you are, look, God is above all that, sees right through it. You'd better go with God or you're in deep hades. And you, the nasty evil one, no matter how hopeless you think you are, God has hope for you. Go with God, and you'll be saved.

What he's left out, though, is the redemption message: the usual pitch is that you have to find God and change your evil ways [must... resist... Santana...]. If, through God, you cast off your pride or your evil, you have redeemed yourself and are now good in the eyes of God.

Without that aspect, well, sure, this guy's saying that as long as you believe in God and Jesus, you can go on trashing the environment, starting unjustified wars, and morally shredding the documents and tenets that form the basis for your people's way of life... and you're still good and righteous, hallelujah!

Hmmmmm......

quote: (the pastor is having one of these in New York's Madison Square Garden Nov 16-19 - free of charge! Whoo-hoo!)

Dang. I already have plans for the 17th, 18th, and 19th. And I'm pretty sure I'll have to clip my fingernails on the 16th. Ah, me.

 
At 2:56 PM, November 14, 2006 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

Quote: "Without that aspect, well, sure, this guy's saying that as long as you believe in God and Jesus, you can go on trashing the environment, starting unjustified wars, and morally shredding the documents and tenets that form the basis for your people's way of life... and you're still good and righteous, hallelujah!"

I'm sorry Mr. Other Anonymous, where does ANYTHING say that in the bible? The overall theme of the bible is exactly contrary to what you just said. Man, by way of Satan, has introduced those ideas.

I'm a member of another, smaller Good News church. Pastor Park's message of true forgiveness, redemption, and God's way to salvation has turned my life around. I was about to lose my job, my wife, my children, and in fact, practically everything. My wife, having already received salvation pleaded with me to listen to the words of the Pastor. God softened my heart of stone. I thought I knew it all. But my heart of stone weakened to the point where I was on my knees, humbled before God.

Once I accepted the fact that Jesus removed my sin, all of it, on the cross, and made me holy by doing so (the bible says you must be holy in order to be allowed into heaven), my wife and I grew back together, our hearts became equal. My job was back on track, and in fact, God's grace saw to it that I received not only a raise, but a promotion! My life is back on track through nothing of what I've done. Having received salvation REALLY has made a huge difference. Non-believers can say it's the placebo effect, but I, for one, as a saved creature, have faith that the good in my life came directly from God.

 
At 6:56 PM, March 12, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

to all truth is truth, we do not each have our own truth, that would be opinion. Gods word contains THE TRUTH.to which we all must accept or go on living our own lies.It does not matter what our concept of God is. what matters is TRUTH.

 
At 9:49 AM, May 29, 2008 Blogger Carl Redmond had this to say...

Hey. Whats the problem
I read this guy's teaching and he's spot on
I actually exp. a change in heart and freedom from sin which is more than can be said for the (so-called) regular churches.
He's merely talking about salvation by grace.
It's the truth!
As for me I spent 20 years with Nutter Sun Myung Moon. I was a Senior Leader. The Lord Jesus took me out. Before you make neg. comments about Park Ock Soo, get your faith right first

 
At 10:21 AM, December 30, 2009 Blogger Unknown had this to say...

i know someone who is attending goodnews..ur church is a cult..ur church being the only place to be saved to recieve salvation..ur church being the so called "ark" ur controlling ways of dividing familys. this person said to me that i am not saved till i come to goodnews...romans 10:9 if u confess with ur mouth and heart that jesus christ is lord u are saved!!..period!! my family member seemed so rehearsed almost like a robot...when she started telling about the arranged marriages, the so called "retreats" i started to do my research on good news..i read about pastor ock soo park and his talk of sin and of the original sin being the only sin..thats a lie..does the bible not say that sin leads to death?? was he not talking about us?? rather then adam and eve since they of course are dead..are we then exempt from the things we do becuz in ur words we are saved..yes i do believe that i am saved and only thru christ jesus am i saved..while i donot believe in continually asking for forgiveness becuz yes God has taken away my sins past present and future i donot believe it being an insult to God to ask for forgivenss...as a matter of fact the bible calls us to repent...and that once i am saved then i am always saved..but i believe in asking god for forgiveness..why would it be an insult? so although we are saved we are now exempt??..how is that all of u ppl talk the same and only talk about sin and salvation??..i was told that my marriage means nothing to God and neither does my family...the bible is manual for ur everyday walk with Christ...i am concerned about my family member not thinking for herself since u told her to throw away what she knows cuz what u know is not good and u know nothing...i have also learned the ur Pastor Ock soo Park claims to be the prophet..i wonder why has anyone ever questioned him. u sound very contradicting at times too just to fit ur agenda..first u say never then u say well sometimes..then u say please do this then u say stop doing this..u assume u have the answer to everything...i can recieve salvation in my home and have recieved salvation 5 yrs ago.i was told from goodnews that i was never saved that god was never with me...i kept thinking about all the times god has saved me from my foolishness..how he rid me of my disease and this being that i was NEVER in goodnews church...u guys twist the truth into a lie and make it ur own so it would fit into ur own agenda!! i will never attend ur church as a matter a fact i pray for mercy on all of u including pastor park who claims to be the down the line decendent of peter and paul..but most importantly i pray for my family member..becuz she has been sucked into ur world and i m worried for her...but i know that i know that i know..that in the end God will truley have the victory..becuz the glory is HIS!!! and another thing my family member had an issue with someone she was going to leave it be but one of ur pastors told her to stop trying to be nice..that if ur a b*tch(and he actually said that) then be a b*tch..so she said some pretty nasty things to that gentlemen..and she is now very mean...almost like she is superior..god preaches about love and more about love then anything else..he speaks about it ALOT!! why should fear play a major part??..2 timothy..for god did not give us a spirit of timitdiey, but a spirit of poser, of love and of self-discipline

 
At 10:52 AM, March 29, 2010 Blogger Unknown had this to say...

WEll many people have alot to say and they judge pastor Park.
If you read the article it talks about us being saved by grace. So if a person is saved and then ask for forgivenesss again and again then in Hebrews 10 it talkes about those who step on the blood of Jesus. Here is the verse.
Hebrews 10:29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

If you think that the blood of Jesus is a common thing then the blood is not holy in your heart. So the blood didn't perfect you.So if we are not perfected or clean then yes we have to ask for forgiveness over and over again. But in the bible it says:

Heberws 10:14 For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.

Who are the sanctified people then?

In Hebrews 10:10 it says:
By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

John 17:19
And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

Acts 26:18
To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

The words go on and on. Jesus has sanctified me . That is what the bible saies I don't care about your judgement and what this pastor or that pastor saies. B/c the bible saies this and I believe it. Remeber the bible saies that all men are liars and let only God be true.

Two entries found for sanctify.

1. Main Entry: sanc·ti·fy
Pronunciation: sa(k)-t-f
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -fied; -fy·ing
1 : to set apart as sacred
2 : to make free from sin
sanctify
The Sabbath
Should we keep a literal Sabbath and the Ten Commandments?

2. Main Entry: sanc·ti·fy
Pronunciation: \-ˌfī\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): sanc·ti·fied; sanc·ti·fy·ing
Etymology: Middle English
Date: 14th century
1 : to set apart to a sacred purpose or to religious use : consecrate
2 : to free from sin : purify
3 a : to impart or impute sacredness, inviolability, or respect to b : to give moral or social sanction to
4 : to make productive of holiness or piety

These are just the definiation from the dictionary.

Now back to Pastor Park, he talkes about repentance and faith. He talkes about the power of the blood of Jesus, he talkes about Jesus changing us not us changing ourselves. Who on this earth can change themselves.

In Hebrews 10:11~12 it saies this:

11.And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

12.But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

There are many pastors that preach about Jesus dying for our sins but we still have sin. So our sins are never taken away. But Jesus did take all our sins away. Well that is what the bible saies. People don't know things they just think that they know it all. So madd people rag on pastor Park. I mean what he talkes about is correct. And he never saied that he was the only right church. I mean i never heard him say that.

Frist study about Pastor Park and then talk. Stop thinking that you know more. I mean if you all know so much about what is a cult and what it is. Then the churches you go to must be a perfect church.

What is a Cult?
Where in the bible does it say Cult do you know?

The bible talks about what a heretic is.

Find it and read it.

Then make your judgements.

 
At 6:16 AM, January 18, 2012 Blogger PeaceByJesus had this to say...

Christians are righteous in God's sight in Christ, yet God can have something against us, which require repentance involving works:

"And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. " (1 Corinthians 6:11)

"Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works [ergon; labor, toil] or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. " (Revelation 2:4-5)
"But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication. So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth. " (Revelation 2:14-16)

"Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols. " (Revelation 2:20)

▀ While we are cleansed from all our past sins, and are dealt with as children, positionally righteous in Christ, as out faith appropriates justification, (Rm. 4:1-7ff) yet we can sin as believers and are commanded to deal with defilement by asking forgiveness, enabled by the atonement of Christ.

"Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. " (Romans 3:25-26)

"But he that lacketh these things [fruits of growth in grace] is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins." (2 Peter 1:9)

"After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." (Matthew 6:9-15)

The above is only written to believers, as only they can call God their father, and it cannot be said to only be for believers before the cross.

"My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: " (1 John 2:1)
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)
This is “we” in the above and not “you” are if written only for unbelievers, and it is sins, plural, not merely acknowledging that we are evil by nature, and this ia a practice, being in the continuous sense

►1 John 1:9: If we confess (ean homologōmen). Third-class condition again with ean and present active subjunctive of homologeō, “if we keep on confessing.” Confession of sin to God and to one another (Jam_5:16) is urged throughout the N.T. from John the Baptist (Mar_1:5) on. — Robertson's Word pictures
:5)

 
At 6:16 AM, January 18, 2012 Blogger PeaceByJesus had this to say...

Pt. 2

"He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. " (Proverbs 28:13)

"When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long. For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah. I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah." (Psalms 32:3-5)

"For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.” "Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed." (Hebrews 12:6,11-13)

"And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. " (James 5:15)

▀ The main difference between the Old and New covenant was was they were were reminded of their past sins by the continued offerings under the Old covenant, which waited the atonement of Christ) in order to be put away and enable entrance into Heaven. But from a relational aspect, that of God having somethings against us while being His children, and needing to acknowledge our failures and get back in fellowship by repentance (which require seeing ourselves in Christ and thus living it out), this continues in the New Testament.

This does not mean one is not longer a child of God if he has not asked forgiveness for every individual sin he has committed, but as seen, God is offended by the sins of His children of faith whom He uniquely loves, and confessing one's offenses against the One He has offended is part of the faith relationship. Thus is it his Father than the believer asks forgiveness of. But to harden one's heart when one realizes he has sinned, and grieved the Holy Spirit, and refuse to repent, is a denial of saving faith and ultimately what it appropriates, if such a condition is terminal. (1Tim. 5:8; Gal. 5:1-4; Heb. 10:19-39)

▀ In addition, while the justification and acceptance of the believer is by imputed righteous, faith being counted for that, yet God is pleased by the works done in faith and rewards such, and is not simply because one is righteous in Christ:

"Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more. " (1 Thessalonians 4:1)
"But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased. " (Hebrews 13:16)

"We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. " (2 Corinthians 5:8-10)

"Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. " (1 Corinthians 3:8)
"If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. " (1 Corinthians 3:14-15)

"Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God. " (1 Corinthians 4

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->