Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Dog Day Carnival

cockerWelcome to the Carnival of the Liberals, a fortnightly collection of the best of liberal blogging. This Carnival differs from others in that it is "the best" - only ten posts are selected out of all the submissions. This time - I attributed it to the weather, though of course it's late winter in some places! - I thought I had 11 submissions - and made the mistake of saying so to Leo when he sent over #11 Tuesday morning. A little joke about "Now I can say I had to winnow them!"

He immediately sent me 20 more (some glitch with the blogcarnival submitter or something) and there they were waiting for me when I got home from work.

So. I did indeed have some winnowing to do.

Actually, of course, I'm not complaining. It's one of the perks of being the host: all those blogs I haven't seen before, and all those posts you don't get see unless you scour the blogosphere. But, still, it's not at all easy. The first cut got me to twenty. That's twice as many as I'm allowed to include. The second cut, which was harder and ended up being mostly which posts made me say "amen!" or smile, got me to twelve - and two of those were by the same blogger, so that made it relatively easy to get to eleven. (No, I'm not going to tell you who; scout around the blogs after you read their carnival entry; they've pretty much all got more good to read than just this one.)

So - it wasn't easy, but I got it done. And - in no particular order - here you go:

The Dog Days Edition (#45) of the Carnival of the Liberals
!
daneShaula Evans sent in Ian Welsh's How We Create Our Own Crimes posted at The Agonist, saying, "Large numbers of US local economies are predicated on a prison industry that pays rural whites to incarcerate urban blacks. But the bottom line is, the country makes policy choices that set the crime and incarceration rates -- and makes them higher than any other industrialized country in the world."

basset and collie
Steve Gimbel presents The Winner in Last Night's Debate? Frank Luntz posted at Philosophers' Playground, saying, "A look at why we should be calling it universal marriage, not gay marriage and why our frontrunners refuse to embrace it."

bassetomyma presents Infrastructure, Infrastructure... wherefore art thou, Infrastructure? posted at thinkbridge. "When nation-building meant building our nation, not everybody else's ... when "homeland security" meant taking care of what makes a nation secure ... when bridges were symbolic of what made our nation great ..."

pugGreta Christina presents Right Wing Hypocrisy, or Why Sex Guilt Fucks Things Up For Everyone posted at The Blowfish Blog, saying, "This piece is about the recent rash of right-wing sex scandals -- but instead of simply commenting on the obvious hypocrisy, it examines the question of why the specific taboo sex acts these people engage in are so often the exact ones they publicly campaign against. (There's also a follow-up .)"

goldenMike Haubrich presents Slavery is Murder for Girls posted at Latest entries from Tangled Up in Blue Guy, saying, "The world is still allowing slavery to be a profitable enterprise. Sexual slavery is proving to be a death sentence for young girls from Nepal; and Minnesota has some work to do to stop sexual slavery as well."

corgiDoctor Biobrain presents Patient Americans posted at And Doctor Biobrain's Response Is..., saying, "My life is depending on you picking my post for this carnival. I'm sure you understand."

bostonCharles H. Green presents We've All Caught the Detroit Disease posted at Trust Matters, saying, "As the US car industry continues its inexorable decline it's worth looking at why and asking if the rest of the country is also exhibiting the symptoms of the "Detroit Disease".”
spanielBarry Leiba presents Imperialism, and what we want in a president posted at Staring At Empty Pages. "Perhaps the best way to do something about it is to vote against such imperialism... But it's not clear that Americans voters consider that — at all."

poodle
Barbara presents Don't wanna and no one's gonna make me posted at Barbara's Tchatzkahs. "Bush however, has a tin ear when it comes to criticism of what he's been doing with his Presidency.... Like a kid he doesn't want to relinquish one of his "toys" just yet."

asianartThailand presents Is it ok to trash Thaksin now? posted at artThailand. "I am personally drawn to art that carries political and/or social messages. It has always interested me that some of the most powerful art and literature has thrived in times and places of adversity"

And a bonus (I couldn't get down to ten; I'm hoping Leo will just be glad I jumped into the breach) - an old post reworked for your enjoyment:

weird labGavin R. Putland presents John W. Howard's Flowchart for Political Success posted at grputland.com. "This chart explains how a never-ending torrent of legislation opposed by every member of the Australian Parliament is being passed with ostensibly bipartisan support."


terrier Whew! That's the Carnival for this fortnight! Next time it will be hosted at Truth in Politics. It's never too early to get your submissions in, either.

Hope you enjoyed this edition, and see you in two weeks!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, August 15, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

What a lovely, and doggy, job you've done of the carnival!

And, while I'm honoured to appear in top spot -- I'm not the author of the article I sent in. It was written by my friend Ian Welsh.

The blogcarnival.com submission form mixes up the names that way sometimes -- sorry for the confusion.

And thank you for the hard work of assembling the carnival. I look forward to reading through everything.

Shaula

 
At 11:09 AM, August 15, 2007 Blogger Barbara had this to say...

Nice job.

Thanks so much for my mention. I've linked you HERE.

Stay kewl!

 
At 11:24 AM, August 15, 2007 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Thanks, Shaula! I should have caught that myself, but it's fixed now!

 
At 1:26 PM, August 15, 2007 Blogger Doctor Biobrain had this to say...

You saved my life. Thank you.

And in return, I will allow you to forever keep my post as part of this carnival. That's my way of showing my deep gratitude for all you have done for me. You're welcome.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->