Monday, March 26, 2012

Dunk is Enough

I concede - no, proclaim: Britney Griner is an immensely talented player. But if I never see another woman dunk a basketball again, it will be too soon. (I felt just the same way when Candace Parker did it.)

I hate the dunk and everything it stands for.

Look, I'm old enough to remember when the men played a tight, beautiful game under the basket. (How old? Well, I remember Bob Cousy. Just the end of his career, but I remember him.) It used to be five men playing as one; now it's four playing for one. It used to be a team, it used to be passing and teamwork and ... well. I hate the NBA's game now. (I've been known to say there's nothing wrong with it that raising the basket two feet wouldn't fix.) I don't like the men's college game much, for that matter. And it's not just the dunk, but the dunk is the symbol.

I don't want to see the women's game go the same way.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, April 05, 2012 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Posting as one geezette to another, I too wish the dunk were banned, because I remember the beautiful game of the late '50s and '60s. Either that or raise the basket another couple of feet?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->