Thursday, August 17, 2006

um, er, what? Didn't that piss him off?

From Dr. Francis S. Collins's book The Language of Ignorance
I believe in a different model, which I call BioLogos. It's a model that I find entirely consistent with what I know scientifically and what I believe about God, which is the following: If God decided to create the universe and his purpose was to populate it with creatures in his image, with whom he could have fellowship and to whom he would give the knowledge of right and wrong, an ability to make decisions on their own free will and an immortal soul, and if he chose to use evolution to accomplish that goal, who are we to say that's not how he would have done it? It's an incredibly elegant means of creation. And because God is outside of time and space -- at least, I think that would make sense, given that he's not part of the natural world -- he could, at the very moment of creation, at the instant of the Big Bang, have this entire plan completely designed right down to our having this conversation. And it would seem perhaps a bit random and long and drawn out to us, but not to him.
Ooookay.

I mean, yes, okay, this is a fairly harmless bit of theistic evolution, or evolution-as-creation, or whatever we're calling it. Yes, given that God is "outside of time and space ... not part of the natural world" then sure. He could have done it this way. It's not like there's any way to say, one way or another.

What's boggling my mind is that little clause "his purpose was to populate it with creatures in his image, with whom he could have fellowship and to whom he would give the knowledge of right and wrong".

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but ... doesn't Genesis explicitly tell us that acquiring the knowledge of right and wrong was what pissed God off at us? Isn't that the Fallâ„¢? Isn't that what got us expelled from Eden (whatever that might represent to Dr. Collins)?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->