Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Staying up too late with Cassini

Last night I stayed up too late (till I had my second cup of coffee this morning I was draggy - unfair to my students, I know...). I had finished watching House and still had some stuff to do, so I was, too comfortably esconced with the laptop to get up and put on some music, channel surfing when I came upon Carl Sagan (oooooooooo) talking about - the Rosetta Stone! Sagan and language! How could I resist?

But then the Science Channel hooked me to stay up even later - a documentary on the Cassini-Huygens mission.

As anyone who reads this blog knows, I am a major Cassini fangirl. Can't help myself...

Encke Gap as never seen beforeSo last night I was totally geeked out (as I imagine the kids might say) when they started showing us stuff like this, taken back in July 2004 right after Cassini slid through the rings for the first time ever, and talking about how they thought this sort of scalloped edge happens... because just last week Cassini sent us that movie of Prometheus shaping the F Ring, and another of Daphnis, doing the same thing with the A Ring - exactly like they thought might be happening!

I mean - o wow. How cool is that?

Seriously.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->