Monday, September 25, 2006

The Week in Entertainment

Film: House of Sand - both Fernandas - Montenegro and Torres - are brilliant in their multiple roles; after the first disconcerting moment you have no difficulty accepting them as totally different people, and Montenegro's portrayal of Torres after 25 years is stunning, while Torres plays her own daughter grown up almost equally well. Almost, meaning only brilliantly. The movie is stunning as well - the landscape is not just a character but the dominant one... A gorgeous, gorgeous film.

TV: House and the Stargates, of course. I do like the concept of SG-1 having to put up with one of the Baals (I haven't forgotten he said he knows the dragon's name). Atlantis is a bit reminiscent of the end of SG-1's first season. It'll be a long wait... grrr. Also, of course, the Ryder Cup - well, the last two days of it. (Nice that it was in Europe and thus over in time for me to go out to the cinema without missing any...)

DVD: Watched a British series called Rebus ... the box says "If you like your detective stories served with plenty of seedy mean streets atmosphere, you won't be disappointed." This is true, though what I like my detective stories served with isn't seedy mean streets atmosphere, it's just John Hannah.

Read: I forgot to take Follies of the Wise with me Monday, so I read what was in my bag, which was the Trollope... and got sucked into the story of The American Senator - or, rather, of Arabella Trefoil - so I ended up finishing that one. I then started Follies..., and then my books came from amazon.co.uk and I put down the essay collection to read Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller, which I enjoyed very much indeed, and have started Moab Is My Washpot by Stephen Fry, who I already know to be a very gifted fiction writer; this is autobiography and very engaging so far (one chapter).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->