Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Birthday, John

Born today in 1795, John Keats.
On first looking into Chapman's Homer

Much have I travell'd in the realms of gold,
And many goodly states and kingdoms seen;
Round many western islands have I been
Which bards in fealty to Apollo hold.
Oft on one wide expanse had I been told
That deep-brow'd Homer ruled as his demesne;
Yet did I never breathe its pure serene
Till I heard Chapman speak out loud and bold:
Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken;
Or like stout Cortez when with eagle eyes
He star'd at the Pacific - and all his men
Look'd at each other with a wild surmise -
Silent, upon a peak in Darien.


And although this may seem frivolous, I can't help but add it ... From Ed Gaillard's page of weirdly assorted but amusing stuff:
Much have I travell'd through the realms of toast,
And many goodly jams and jellies seen;
Round many western omelets have I been
Which chefs as specialities of the house boast.
Oft I've been told of bread light as a ghost
That, deep-brown'd, has a flavor marv'lous keen:
Yet never did I eat its pure serene
'Till I had Saffron bread -- sweet honey-gold.
Then felt I like some hunter scanning skies,
When a new game-bird flies into his ken;
Or like stout Prudhomme, when with many tries
He first baked chile-cornbread -- his sous-chefs then
Look'd at each other with a wild surmise --
Silent, before a grill in New Orleans.

(My favorite is Captain Haiku vs the Arch-Villanelle...)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, December 29, 2009 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

Good Afternoon!!! thegreenbelt.blogspot.com is one of the most excellent resourceful websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. All the best.

 
At 4:36 PM, January 20, 2010 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

The author of thegreenbelt.blogspot.com has written an excellent article. You have made your point and there is not much to argue about. It is like the following universal truth that you can not argue with: Software is a gas, it expands to fill all available disk space. Thanks for the info.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->