Thursday, December 07, 2006

Say, what???

I am astounded. I think I can't be anymore, but then it happens. Rightwingers say something so stunningly, mindblowingly bizarre...

I saw Happy Feet. I can assure you that global warming isn't mentioned. Factory fishing is - oh, yes - but global warming? Not even a whisper. So where's this "animated version of An Inconvenent Truth"?

But that's not the real kicker. It's the idiots who assert that Mumbles is ... gay. Yes. Or at least standing in for gay.

"There's a whole flock of penguins who are basically, well, gay." "When Mumbles tells his father 'Accept me for who I am, I can't change' that's going to go right over the heads of kids. But we know what he is."

It'll probably go over the kids' heads because Mumbles is in love with a girl penguin. And marries her and has a kid. And all the penguins are obsessed with finding their opposite-sex mate and having kids. And as for that "whole flock" bit - you know, they all reject him; they aren't all "I can't change who I am", you know.

What this asinine assertion means is that any children's story that features a character who is different and wants to be accepted for who he is ... is gay. Like, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, I suppose. Or indeed any story which has the moral "be yourself".

Though Pinocchio is safe, I guess: he does change!

(ps - I should probably mention that I saw this on TDS; Lewis Black was carrying on about it... but though I certainly agree with him, most of my reaction is mine)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->