Saturday, December 02, 2006

That Idiotic George Will Column

Oh - that's not much help, is it? I mean the one where he got all huffy and offended because James Webb was so gosh-darned rude to the current president.

George Will is a toadying sycophant, at best, and a lying hypocrite at more likely, if he really thinks Bush was asking a civil, caring question and getting a rude brush-off in response. (He was a disingenuous little punk for omitting Bush's offensively phrased retort to Webb ("That's not what I asked you!"), but Will specializes in that.)

I was so offended by that column I couldn't find the words to express myself on the day.

Here's what Nora Ephron wrote, over on HuffingtonPost.com, putting in a larger context:
Washington is a place where politics is just something you do all day. You lie, you send kids to war, you give them inadequate equipment, they're wounded and permanently maimed, they die, whatever. Then night falls, and you actually think you get to pretend that none of it matters. 'How's your boy?' That, according to George Will, is a civil and caring question, one parent to another? It seems to me that it's exactly the sort of guy talk that passes for conversation in Bushworld, just one-up from the frat-boy banter that is usually so seductive to Bush's guests. George Bush once said to someone I know, "How old is that seersucker suit anyway?" and my friend (who should know better) went for it lock stock and barrel.

So finally someone said to George Bush, Don't think that what you stand for is beside the point. Don't think that because you're President you're entitled to my good opinion. Don't think that asking about my boy means that I believe for even one second that you care. If you did, you'd be doing something about bringing the troops home.

George Will thinks this is bad manners.

I don't.

I think it's too bad it doesn't happen more often.
Amen, Nora.

And amen to all those who've been wishing Webb would have said something like "Angry and scared and risking his life for your war, sir; how're your girls?" What Webb did say reminds me of Clive's comment about standing amazed at his own restraint. I'm amazed at Webb's restraint.

Hell, I'm astounded.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->