Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A Cautionary Tale

I have to admit that I'm pretty much a yellow-dog Democrat. I generally vote the party, not the man - in the election. In the primaries I'll vote the man (but then they're all the same party then, aren't they?), which is why I "threw my vote away" on Dennis Kucinich in 2004.

But that doesn't mean that I don't know that there are some people in the Democratic Party who are worse than many Republicans. I just hope we can keep them mostly out of office.

For an example, let me refer you to Robert Scheer's latest Truthdig column, a 'cautionary tale' about "President Lieberman", with which I am in full agreement. Those who supported Lieberman against the man who won the primary thought, I suppose, that they were voting for the man instead of the party - possibly they thought they were voting for the man who could win - but either way they elected a man who's as bad, if not worse, than most of the Republicans.

Frankly, the only reason I don't want the bastard to join the GOP in name as well as deed is that it will level the Senate. It's 49-49, after all, with one Independent who caucases with the Democrats (no, not Lieberman - Bernie Sanders) and one guy who calls himself an "Independent Democrat" and caucases with the Democrats but doesn't vote with them (yeah, this is Lieberman). So if he joins the GOP - besides betraying every Democrat who voted for him because he said he wouldn't - he'll shift the majority back to the GOP because Cheney will have the tie-breaking vote.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, June 13, 2007 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Yep... what you said.

But I note that the Republicans actually do have an effective majority in the Senate right now. The good news is that Tim Johnson is on the mend, and appears to be coming back.

 
At 6:32 PM, June 13, 2007 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Yep. In a way it's not right to blame the Democrats when something doesn't pass. They don't have the numbers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->