Monday, July 30, 2007

"so called" creation

No, I'm not talking about Creationism.

I'm talking about Gordon Brown, who was just on the radio discussing the relationship between the US and the UK, and its long history. He said, and I'm quoting, "since the creation, so called, of the special relationship".

That "so called" is badly misplaced, don't you think?

"since the creation of the so-called special relationship" - I see why he didn't want this one. But how about "since the creation of the special relationship, so called"?

Of course, in British "so called" may not have the same slightly negative feel that it has in US English. But were I he, I'd have said "since the creation of the special relationship, as it's called".

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->