Tuesday, July 24, 2007

years which admit... er, what?

However, nothing will diminish the pain and suffering experienced by our international medical colleagues over the last eight years whose original admission of guilt was secured by methods of torture.
While I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment, I find the sentence a bit awkward.

If you have an idiolect which prohibits "whose" with inanimates, then this sentence, presumably, gives you no trouble. I don't: inanimates deserve a relative possessive pronoun, and since English doesn't have "whiches" or "thats", "whose" it is.

So I initially read that relative clause (beginning "whose original admission") as referring back to the immediate antecedent, "years". It doesn't work. I had to back up and start again.

I'd have moved that "over the last eight years" to follow "experienced".

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->