Friday, October 05, 2007

An annoyance that ought to be avoidable

If you have to call the Post Office to get a redelivery scheduled, and it's anything but one simple package, you'll be annoyed before you're done.

First. you get that robot that insists on saying "I" - "I'll have to verify some information," it says, and "I'd like to check your address with our commercial database." What, the Post Office doesn't have its own database of addresses? I wonder, and, You're a robot; you don't have a sense of identity or desires. At least I hope not... To be sure, this one's not as horrible as "Julie" from Amtrak, who can't recognize some forty or fifty percent of the destinations Amtrak services. It doesn't have a name, for starters. And it pretty much recognizes the few responses it's programmed to accept. Also it allows you to jump in and answer before all the menu options have been presented. But ... this is how it goes:

You say Delivery Services, and then Schedule a Redelivery. Then you confirm that's what you want. Then you tell it your phone number so it can find your address, and you then confirm the address. Then you spell your name, and confirm the spelling. Then you say, Yes, someone will be home. Then you say Yes, you have the redelivery notice. Then you say the date, and then you say "Parcel". Then you read what sort of services there are, or say none. Then you read off the Article Number, and write down the confirmation number. Then it asks if you have another parcel to schedule ... and if you do, it hands you over to a real person - or at least puts you in the waiting queue for one. Why couldn't the first thing it asks be "How many parcels?"

And if your package is coming from, oh, say, Lviv, Ukraine, and it's both registered and delivery confirmation, so you have to say "Mulitple Services" - well, the robot can't handle that, either, and passes you over to the queue for a real person. So, why isn't the second question about the delivery services?

And I ask that because once you get to the real person you have to go through all of the above all over again. Clearly, the system doesn't have any way to pass any of the information you have painstakingly recited over to the person. You have to recite it all again.

And that's awfully annoying.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, October 05, 2007 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Whenever I get any of those systems, I say, first thing, "I want to talk to a person." Sometimes you have to insist (say it twice), but all the ones I've done it with do, eventually, send you to the human queue.

Despite being the techie that I am, I detest trying to do customer-service stuff with a voice-response unit.

 
At 6:37 PM, October 05, 2007 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

I tried that with American Airlines the other day and I had to say it about six times. There was nothing the automated one could do for my problem, in fact, but it still kept trying (there I go anthropomorphizing it). In fact, it actually acknowledged that I wanted a human and kept on trying to handle the problem for another two tries.

But it seems to me the Post Office ought to be able to either (a) screen the callers who will have to go to a person in the end or (b) get the data passed from one part of their system to another. And I still can't figure why it can't just start over with a second package!

When the wait for a person is as long as it often is, making the caller waste that much time up front is stupid. You can tell they don't really have any competition.

 
At 8:07 PM, October 05, 2007 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Oh, yeah, and as to passing the information on to the human: so many systems now have you key in your account number, and then that's the first thing the human asks you for. And I insist on asking them why they don't already know it, and I always get the same answer: "The system is having a problem right now."

No. "The system" is having a problem always. None of these systems ever gets my account number to the human. There's just no effing excuse for that, none.

Grumble, grumble....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->