Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Helped?

Again, I kinda feel like I'm stepping on fev's territory, but this really jarred me. It's a case of some slight confusion here over the arguments for "help" at Reuters. The headline reads
California fires helped by slowing winds
but the story starts
Firefighters battling 15 fires across Southern California got a break from slowing winds on Wednesday, but major blazes burned unchecked for a fourth day after forcing the largest evacuation in California's modern history.
Okay, sure, it's pretty clear what the headline means after you read the lede, but ... until I clicked through I thought I was going to find out that the slowing winds were in some way aiding the fire to spread through more territory.

A verb like "eased" or, gosh, "slowed" - and yes, then you'd need a different adjective for "winds" but what's wrong with "dropping"?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, October 24, 2007 Blogger fev had this to say...

Hey, heds are a big territory. Lots of room for all. (And no lines at many of our fine restaurants!)

I'll look around for similar argument-drops, but I can't think of any offhand in that pattern. Pretty neat.

And probly worth mentioning tonight in a pre-midterm sermon: If the smart people can't figure out your heds without a chart, what do you expect the rest of us to do?

 
At 7:45 PM, October 24, 2007 Blogger Q. Pheevr had this to say...

I vote for "ameliorated."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->