Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Look it up!

In a Language Log post on "ear spellings", Mark Liberman observes:
A reflection on why ear spellings should be so likely for this word. If you've heard the word, you probably know how to use it in sentences, but if you haven't seen it in print (or don't remember having seen it in print, or didn't realize that the spelling "voilĂ " represented this particular word), you're in trouble. People tell you to look up words if you don't know their spellings, but where do you look in this case? If you don't know French, or don't recognize the French origin of the word, what would possess you to look under VOI in a dictionary, especially if your pronunciation of the word begins with /w/ (I think this is the most common current pronunciation, at least for people who aren't "putting on", or at least approximating, French)? So you spell it "the way it sounds".
I have to say, I've never quite understood that injunction. Having a sister who's educated, literate, and unable to spell made me familiar with the problem, which can be summed up as: How can I look up how to spell it if I don't know how to spell it?

In other words, what good is a dictionary, which lists words according to how they're spelled, for someone who doesn't know how to spell a word - especially if they're faltering at the word's beginning?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, October 25, 2007 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Yeah, we used to ask our teachers how to spell "pneumonia", just so we could play with the inevitable response. "Well, I looked under 'new', but I couldn't find anything close...."

What I wonder at more, though, is Mark's ridiculous statement about "the most common current pronunciation" of "voilà". Now, I have seen people spell it "walla", but I just write them off as morons. Pronouncing it with an initial "v" is certainly not an affectation, and what Mark says makes me suspicious of anything else he has to say.

(Actually, I think the most frequent misspelling of it that I see (apart from leaving off the accent grave, which I don't really consider a misspelling) is "viola", like the musical instrument.)

 
At 8:52 AM, October 25, 2007 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

I know LOTS of people who pronounce it wa-lah, actually. I don't think I've seen them spell it ANY way... wait, my brother says "wa-lah" and spells it voila. (My other brother pronounces it "vi-ola" but he knows that's not right, he just does it.)

(I also think redefining "putting on or at least approximating French" as "affectation" is harsh. "Putting on" may be, but "approximating French"?)

Regardless of whether you agree with him on this issue, Mark knows his stuff.

 
At 8:54 AM, October 25, 2007 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

ps - The V-W alternation is well attested, after all, and an intial VW is so not English that I don't think it at all strange that it becomes W.

 
At 12:01 PM, October 25, 2007 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Hm. I guess we just know different people. Voilà.

And yes, comme ton frère, I often say "vee-OH-la" just to be silly. I think the most common oddity I hear in how people pronounce it is that many Americans over-stress the "à", taking the accent-mark as a stress sign. "vwa-LAH".

On the "vw" combo... An Italian IBM'er was wondering why so many English speakers misspell "Giuseppe" as "Guiseppe", and the consensus on that was related, but in spelling instead of pronunciation: "giu" is an unusual orthographic combination in English, and "gui" seems more natural.

 
At 3:13 PM, November 22, 2007 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

And as for Mark's bona fides, he has just been elected a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). The citation:

Dr. Mark Liberman, professor of linguistics; cited for contributions to phonological theory, the computational analysis of language, and the practical applications and popular understanding of linguistics.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->