Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Week in Entertainment

DVD: An extremely good documentary about Jack Kirby. Creator - I have always liked this movie; I was glad to find it available.

TV: Heroes - you know, if West really has "the same fears" about being caught that Claire has, why the hell does he fly around in the middle of the day in the middle of the city? And, hey, nice work, Matt. Torchwood - now we got the look into Toshiko. Sad glimpse of Ianto, but nice that they don't forget things after an episode. Odyssey 5 - well, I gave it a shot, and it was awful. Couldn't even finish the first episode... I wish I could figure out why my dvr doesn't record Stargate Atlantis as a series. It's hard to remember to set it every week. (Yeah, I didn't.) Forgot to mention that last week I actually watched Land Before Time because I thought I needed to see what it was about. All I can say is, it wasn't one quarter as bad as An American Tail, which I tried to watch this week; I couldn't get past the cats dressed up like Cossacks taking part in the pogrom. I have a hard time with the genre of talking animal story that puts the animals into our world - only talking and wearing clothes and using tools and so on and so forth - anyway, and this was just unbearably bad.

Read: Храни меня, мой талисман (Khrani menya, moy talisman - Guard me, my talisman), a novella which is the basis of the 1986 film by Rustam Ibragimbekov (movie and novella both). An interestingly written story, layers of flashbacks building to an unexpected conclusion - I'd be interested in seeing the movie now to see if the structure is similar. Gale Warning by Dornwood Yates (whom I found by reading Stephen Fry's blog); it's an amusing thriller.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->