Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I am such a geek...

My copy of Neil Whitman's Category Neutrality: A Type-Logical Investigation just arrived!T
here are a number of cases in English where a word with different meanings and different syntactic categories can be used with more than one meaning simultaneously...
Huh? You know, sentences like this:
It's a difficult place to cross or locate people once they are in the area.
Or this:
It makes it tough for him to get his things done and to bed on time.
This book is in the 'Outstanding Dissertations in Linguistics' Series from Routledge, and I'm looking forward to making my way through it.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, November 29, 2007 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

Glad you're liking it so far. Thanks for the interest!

Also, I've fixed the link to the free book. I kind of forgot to update that when I moved my homepage, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

 
At 3:54 PM, November 29, 2007 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Ah, zeugma.

Wonderful examples of it in Flanders and Swann's "Have Some Madeira, M'Dear". Like these:

«And he said, as he hastily put out the cat,
The wine, his cigar, and the lamps:»


and

«When he asked "What in heaven ...?" she made no reply,
Up her mind and a dash for the door.»

 
At 4:23 PM, November 29, 2007 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Oooo, I do love me some Flanders & Swann.

"I won't eat people - eating people is wrong!"

"Some for any bonnie lorry would lay them doon and dee..."

"I'm a g-nu. I'm a g-nu. I'm the g-nicest sort of animal in the zoo. I'm a g-nu, spelt G N U. You really ought to k-now w-ho's w-ho..."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->