Thursday, January 31, 2008

minor annoyances

Two things that annoy me ... they're not important, but they annoy me. And both could be fixed.

The first is bill return and charity donation forms that don't fit into the envelope included with them.

The other is online forms that make me select my state from a drop-down menu - especially since I always have to scroll (even after I enter the first letter). Let me type it in, guys. If I don't know what it is how am I supposed to pick it out? And if I do why can't I type it? Why do you make me take my hands off the keyboard and go to the mouse?

There. Now I can go back to worrying about the big things.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, January 31, 2008 Blogger AbbotOfUnreason had this to say...

I think with coding the states it's just much much quicker to restrict you to selecting from a list than to write the script to verify your selection.

 
At 10:52 AM, February 01, 2008 Blogger Unknown had this to say...

Programmers like to use lists because it helps to avoid typos and aids in database integrity. It's difficult to report off a field where the user may enter "New York", "NY", "N.Y.", etc for the same thing.

You can use your keyboard for selection boxes. Say you want to select Kentucky from a drop down. Tab to the field and type in K. That'll give you Kansas most of the time since they're usually in alphabetical order. Type K again and it'll go to the next K in the list, which should be Kentucky.

Not all web pages are keyboard friendly though. I really hate the ones that don't let you use the tab key.

 
At 10:56 AM, February 01, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

K again! Or rather, M again!

I should have figured that out, I think, since typing M gives me Maine, and then trying the D gives me Delaware...

Thanks!

 
At 11:56 AM, February 01, 2008 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Maine... or Massachusetts if they use two-letter abbreviations.

You should be OK with typing "MM", to get through MA and MD, or Maine and Maryland. It's not so easy for me:
I need six "N"s to get to New York, or eight to get to NY. And that's assuming that they don't include NB, New Brunswick... which they sometimes do. So I can't just hit some number of "N"s on autopilot.

And then there are the ones where you have to pick your birth year out of a list that starts at 1900. Forget the keyboard there....

(Hey, I like the CAPTCHA that I just got: dneefaoo.)

 

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->