Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Obama (probably) has my vote

Barack Obama and Ted Kennedy by Alex Wong - Getty Images(nb: I actually did start writing this post before Edwards dropped out...)

So, with Dennis Kucinich out of the race - probably not showing up on my primary ballot - I have to decide who to back.

(of course, John Edwards' dropping out makes this choice much, much easier)

It's odd. Whenever I take one of those tests designed to show which candidate is closer to me, Obama has always been a solid second to Kucinich. Yet I've always sort of leaned to Edwards as my second choice. I like his in-your-face progressive oratory, his recognition of "Two Americas", his pro-union stance, and his passion. I like his emphasis on poverty and health care, and his refusal to take lobbyist money. I like a lot about him.

And of course, as the campaign went on, both Obama and Clinton were forced to take a lot of positions that resembled Edwards', narrowing the gap between the three of them - particularly between Obama and Clinton.

There's a lot about Clinton I don't like. I don't like her knives-out approach (and don't give that "if Obama can't handle Clinton he'll never handle the Republicans" talk; that's no excuse for it). I don't like her hawkish attitude toward Iran. I don't like her centrist politics (no, she is not a liberal). And I don't like her indebtedness to corporations.

Of course, Obama's not perfect in that latter regard. Also, he's pretty religious. But he does have a good feel about him, and he seems like he wants to be president of the whole country. Also, he's willing to talk instead of shoot.

Now, oddly enough, I was incredibly enthusiastic about Bill Clinton. He was the "agent of change" - in a good way - back then. Remember "the man from Hope"? Remember how he made us feel like the people with good intentions were going to be running the country - how he appealed to our better nature? And Hillary Clinton was a huge part of that. It's probably inevitable that Obama will face the same relentless enemy they did - as Wayne Besen points out:
The truth is, the conservative movement is as pugnacious as it is repugnant. It is arrogance with a self-centered sense of entitlement - with its unpatriotic actions wrapped in the flag and justified in the name of God.

As imperfect - and at times disappointing - as the Clintons may have been, for many years, they were all that stood in the way of the conservative movement's complete domination and takeover of America.

Unfortunately, for their successful efforts at partially derailing the conservative juggernaut, the Clintons are being blamed for sullying the tone in Washington. This twisted line of reasoning reminds me of the kid who finally retaliates against his bullying tormentors, only to be sent to the school's office and reprimanded for fighting. The historical revisionism on the Clinton era must stop because it does not conform to reality. They did not pick the fights, they just retaliated - and often won. If Obama is elected president and faces the same frontal assault as Bill and Hillary, he will suffer the precise partisan fate. We can only hope that he has the killer instinct and resourcefulness to effectively fight back.
So, who to support? A proven fighter who's not quite where I want her to be on a number of issues, or a charismatic conciliator (remember how we loved that about Bill?) who's closer to my positions? Bearing in mind that neither of them is a really good match, that they're very close to each other on a lot of issues, that either would be a pretty good president, and that either would be enormously preferable to any of the Republicans running, I'm finding the choice difficult.

And now Ted Kennedy - our great gray liberal lion - has endorsed Obama.

So, while I'm annoyed that the media and the broken primary system has deprived me of the chance of voting for either my number 1 or 2 choice - and it's still January for crying out loud - I guess I'm backing Obama now. I may even get enthusiastic about him by the summer.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 12:19 AM, January 31, 2008 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Yes, I think I'm leaning the same way, for most of the same reasons, and with much of the same trepidation. Only, I really don't give a damn whom the Kennedys — Ted and Caroline... or Robert F. Jr — endorse.

 
At 5:37 AM, January 31, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

It would have been reasonable and expected for Ted Kennedy to endorse nobody, given that he'll have to work with whomever is elected president. For him to make a public endorsement says a great deal about Obama and the policies Kennedy expects him to support. And since he's one of the few genuinely liberal senators around, it's significant. So while I don't wait to see whom he endorses - or IF - I can't say it doesn't matter to me. It's just one factor, and I have to weigh it with my other opinions, so that this was a much more conflicted post before Edwards dropped out, for instance. But it is a factor.

 
At 8:52 AM, January 31, 2008 Blogger incunabular had this to say...

This is really tough for me. Hillary is still my favorite candidate because of the resolution or granularity of her campaign. I can go to the Newsroom section of her website and easily pretend to live in a world where she is already president. And I like it. Just two days ago she posted a press release about Ukraine's candidacy for NATO membership. How awesome is that?

I don't know what else there is that is keeping me in the Hillary camp. Perhaps I just miss competence more than inspiring oratory. No matter who wins the democratic nomination, Barack or Hillary, we will get a mixture of both and they bar will be raised immensely.

But if I am honest with myself, I have a bad feeling about what might happen if Hillary wins the nomination. My spidey-sense tells me that the cowboy/jingoism/macho fringe that brought us Bush and Reagan would easily propel a candidate like McCain past her at the ballot box. I feel better about Barack's prospects in the general election. Competence didn't do much for Kerry last presidential election cycle.

So, I guess I am sticking with Hillary based on my competence/granularity rationale, but I will be secretly happy if Barack wins. Oh.. and then I'll probably become openly happy for him.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->