Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Ron Paul as VP? Well ... not exactly

A number of Kucinich supporters are upset with him for "picking Ron Paul as his running mate." I've got to agree - Paul gives me the creeps. He's anti-science, and the favorite candidate of white-power Christofascists even if (a big IF I don't buy) he isn't really one himself.

But.

This wasn't something DK said out of the blue. He was asked which GOP candidate currently running he'd pick for his running mate. I mean, think about it. Talk about a choice between evils! Whether Ron Paul is indeed the best of a bad lot may be arguable, but it's certain that being named the best of that crowd is no great accolade. Moreover, nowhere has DK indicated that he is actually considering this move - he was answering a question put to him on the campaign trail. In fact, he has explicitly said that he does not consider Paul running-mate material due to the racist literature and other revelations.

(It's worth noting, too, that this entire thing was originally blown out of proportion by the Cleveland Plain Dealer, which is not now nor has ever been a pro-Kucinich paper.)

But here's a slighlty different perspective, one which is worth some consideration, which was sent on a mailing list I belong to:

I strongly disagree with Ron Paul on a lot of very important issues – abortion, health care, global warming, gay rights, gun control, etc. (even though his positions on these issues are more understandable than the standard Republican line) – but if I had to pick one "Republican" (he's actually a libertarian) who I would trust to protect America from descending into a corporate-controlled theocracy, it's Ron Paul.

I really don't want to be in a position where I'm defending Ron Paul to a pack of progressives, but I'm not sure what about this Kucinich-Paul ticket has everyone so riled up? The question posed to Dennis in this video is, "If you had to pick someone who is seeking the Republican nomination as a running mate, who would you choose?"

Here is the substance of Dennis' response:

"As the Democratic nominee I'd consider Ron Paul because I think he's someone who has integrity, he has vision, he has courage…. Think about this, okay. I'm talking about an administration that isn't necessarily going to be made up of people I agree with on everything…. I want people who bring diversity of opinion so we have different ways of looking at the world. And Ron Paul would do that. He and I agree tremendously on international policy. If you look at the voting records, you might see a vote being 235-2 and you'll know who the two are. Kucinich and Paul…. On domestic policy, we're pretty far apart. But I think we could work with each other to talk about the direction America is capable of and find ways to meet on common ground. Are there Democrats I would consider, of course. But I want it known that, as the nominee of the party, that I keep my options very wide open. I want our party to be able to have the broadest appeal so that we're not just representing one type of politics. Ron Paul is a person who could help us do that."

Can we have a discussion about what Republican this group would rather have as Dennis's running mate, considering that was the question posed? Ron Paul is and has always been opposed to the Iraq war (and all wars waged in anything but self-defense). He is strongly opposed to the death penalty. He's strongly opposed to the war on drugs. Though not for gay marriage, he's strongly opposed to a constitutional amendment barring it. He opposes all forms of domestic surveillance and infringements on individual liberties, and has spoken out strongly against secret prisons, torture, and American imperialism. On many of the most important and politically divisive issues, Paul has taken extremely courageous positions for a white Republican old guy from Texas.

So yeah, Ron Paul isn't anywhere near the top of my list for DK's running mate, either. But given the question, he was probably the best answer ... except, of course, for "What are you, insane? Pick a Republican?"

(thanks, evmonk)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:33 AM, January 10, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

How about Vermin Supreme?

 
At 8:50 AM, January 10, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

That would work. Unless he already is, that is...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->