Friday, February 29, 2008

animation means moving! (and Eddy Lamarr?)

It's a geek tragedy when you're late to a festival of this type of Japanese animation.

Manga, says the contestant.

Manga or anime, yes, says Alex Trebek.

But manga are comic books or graphic novels. They're not animation!

Alex has been doing that a lot, lately - giving credit to the wrong answer. (Equating "manager" with "general manager" of a baseball team was another.)

(ps - what's with Alex pronouncing "Hedy Lamarr" as "Eddy"? I've never heard that before. I presume it's the French way, but did she?)

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, March 01, 2008 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Hm, well, Ms Lamarr (two "r"s) was from Vienna, and her given name was "Hedwig" (I guess the French version is "Hedvige"). She certainly would have been "HED-veeg" (or perhaps "HED-veesh"; I'm not sure what the Austrian dialect does with the final "ig"), while the French is "ed-VEEZH".

Given that she adopted "Hedy" after being hired by Louis B. Mayer, it seems unlikely that she'd have taken a French pronunciation for it. But, of course, I don't know for sure.

In any case, I don't think I'd take Alex Trebek as a standard bearer for pronunciation.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->