Saturday, March 15, 2008

NL: Not the End of the World

Nonbelieving LiteratiThis time around we read Not the End of the World by Christopher Brookmyre.

I've posted on this book before, a couple of years ago when I read it first. I'll try to find different stuff to say this time, but you might want to read the older review. (Or not.) I enjoyed it a lot - and enjoyed it the second time around, too, though even less was there mystery this time. (There never really is 'mystery'; you can guess what's going on before the good guys do, mostly because you have much more information than they do. The question for the reader isn't really "what is Luther St John doing?" it's "(how) can he be stopped?"). It's not a perfect book by any means - it's not even Brookmyre's best - and possibly if I was from the LA area I'd be distracted by what I've been told are geographic errors, but I'm not, so I wasn't.

Since I read fast, I got through the book in an afternoon. At that pace, it's a thrill ride - lots of action, likable characters, bombs, swearing, sex ... faster and faster until the end. It might not hold up to a prolonged reading - not a problem for me and Brookmyre, I have to admit. But for what it is - a lighthearted if violent romp (Brookmyre's specialty), it's great. Not least because the atheists are the heroes.

Oh yes - it's more than just a romp. It's an examination of intolerance and media feeding frenzies and the relativity of morality. It's about "lying for Jesus" on a grand - evenNot the End of the World by Brookmyre cosmic - scale.

We all know the "lying for Jesus" ploy. It's common among certain kinds of Christians (and, if you substitute other deities' names, among all certain kinds of all religious, I'm sure). At its most benign (which still isn't particularly good) it involves lying to people about what others believe (or don't) to keep them "safe" inside the fold. Mind, I'm not talking about people who actually believe the lies - they're dangerous, of course, because if you believe that God will punish the community for the sins of some, then you're likely to take out those some. But they're not lying, just deluded (can I still use that word?). "Lying for Jesus" gets worse, too. At its height, it's "bringing people to God" by any means possible, because as long as they get to God, it's justified.

Yes, this book is about the lengths of murdering terror to which ostensibly God-loving people will go to bring the fear of God to those who don't have enough of it, the justifications they feed themselves when they recognize the conflict, and the huge number of them who don't. Kill thousands to save hundreds of millions: in the arithmetic of faith and fate this makes sense: after all, the thousands are damned already.
Trouble is, there's a fine line between imagining someone's eternal soul is condemned and thinking their earthly life is worthless.
So is this an over-the-top plot? Of course it is. It's taken to the utmost, stripped of all subtlety (and possibly of all likelihood) because Brookmyre wants to leave the reader no room for waffling. How can you approve of St John's plan to cause a tsunami? But even over-the-top you can recognize truth: how many religious leaders wax ecstatic over any natural disaster, blaming the sinful behavior of the victims for the tragedy? Katrina, the 2004 Christmas tsunami, earthquakes... look at Westboro Baptist Church for a truly grotesque example, but it's everywhere. I remember vividly a couple of talkative conservative Christians on the bus chatting about how many Muslims "were brought to the Lord Jesus" after that Iranian earthquake back in 1990.

So it's not over the top to believe that someone would decide to manufacture a disaster to bring about a giant revival of faith. The lie is justifiable, the deaths quite acceptable - they'll all get their just deserts: the faithful will be whisked off to Heaven and the rest will get what's coming to them anyway. Omelets and eggs, you know.

There's more - for instance an examination of sex and how it's used and abused by religious people. It's also funny. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I'll leave you with this thought:
When Larry found himself helpless, impotent and alone, the option of begging divine intercession seemed no option at all because, quite simply, he realized he had no faith. When it was playing-for-keeps time, when life was drawing a line in the sand, he suddenly knew which side he stood. It was cold, dark and scary that side of the line, and there was nobody there to help you, but once you're there you can't return. Once you've seen behind the backdrop, you can't walk out front again and believe that what's painted on it is real.

The world this side of the line is indeed a more foreboding place, but even though you have to tread with more caution, you walk with more dignity.
Indeed.




Next time we're going to read A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf. If you'd like to join, please do! It's easy: just read the book and post something on May 1. It doesn't have to be a review (some members never do reviews) - an essay, reflection, rant - anything that's a reaction to the book will do. Then post a comment on someone's blog and let us know you've done it. You can read this from the Exterminator for more info, and contact him to sign up a bit (only a bit) more formally.

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, March 15, 2008 Blogger The Exterminator had this to say...

So far you're in a minority of one on this book, Ridger. Still, I must admit, I felt good seeing the theocratic villain get his comeuppance. Why doesn't that ever happen in real life?

 
At 3:21 PM, March 15, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Yes, I've been reading the posts. I'm sorry people didn't like it - if I'd just recommended it, y'all could have quit reading but this way you had to finish it.

 
At 3:37 PM, March 15, 2008 Blogger Alejandro had this to say...

I'm with a lot of other people on this book in that I didn't find it all that compelling a read. Still, as your post pointed out, there's an important message to chew on. Do NOT feel bad for recommending it.

 
At 4:02 PM, March 15, 2008 Blogger John Evo had this to say...

if I'd just recommended it, y'all could have quit reading but this way you had to finish it.

Actually - not true. In fact, someone found The Plague so awful that they read a third of it and then posted about why they stopped!

Anyway, your post (and SI's) remind me that there's always something about a book that gets us thinking. That's what we are challenged by Ex to concentrate on and bring forth in a thoughtful (and, hopefully, thought provoking) post.

Further, as I read your description of the thrill ride it gave you as you whipped through it in a few short hours, it occured to me that maybe this is a "built for movie" book.

I think theists are more movie oriented than literature oriented and I'd love to see the uproar over the "good guy" atheists, "bad guy" Christians! That alone would be worth it.

 
At 4:18 PM, March 15, 2008 Blogger The Exterminator had this to say...

Ridger:
I've already left the following comment at Evo's blog, but I'm leaving it here, too, because I wanted to be certain that you see it.

Don't apologize for your book choice. First of all, no one ever expected an NL selection to be liked by everybody. That would make for a really dull book club.

Second, and even more important, there's a lot to be learned from being able to articulate why a book does or doesn't appeal to you. It's an exercise in critical thinking.

Third, as Lifey pointed out at chappy's post: Isn't it fascinating that we allegedly "militant" atheists have almost all found the mean-spirited and caricatured depiction of Christians to be offensive? That phenomenon alone was worth the read.


I also agree with Evo that this book is a movie waiting to happen. It never will, though, given the current market. Too bad.

 
At 4:53 PM, March 15, 2008 Blogger Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) had this to say...

"Trouble is, there's a fine line between imagining someone's eternal soul is condemned and thinking their earthly life is worthless."

Now that was worth reading!

Christians selling God should be ignored.

A play I read a while back called "Rain" had a character in it that spoke to a naive young girl about her going to Africa with her fiance to witness to the "lost" souls there and bring them to god to save their souls. The man in his wheelchair after telling of his analogy of his dog chained up in the basement that he tortures daily (hell) because his dog was a "bad dog" for not obeying his master, said, "So... are you saving souls for God, or from Him?"

I've always found that to be a very potent viewpoint...

 
At 5:23 PM, March 15, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

Thanks for this thoughtful review. You've made some good points. And don't apologize for selecting a book that wasn't to everyone's taste. We all still got something out of reading it and thinking about it. Learning is never bad.

I also liked this passage that you quoted:

It was cold, dark and scary that side of the line, and there was nobody there to help you, but once you're there you can't return. Once you've seen behind the backdrop, you can't walk out front again and believe that what's painted on it is real.

The world this side of the line is indeed a more foreboding place, but even though you have to tread with more caution, you walk with more dignity.


Since I'm probably the most recent de-convert in the literati, I really connected with this passage. It's a great description of my experience. That alone made the book worth reading.

 
At 9:24 PM, March 15, 2008 Blogger Spanish Inquisitor had this to say...

I want to thank you for recommending this. I did like it, as I mentioned on my post. I give all books the benefit of the doubt, because I think reading is so important, and I'd hate to discourage someone from reading. And it got me to thinking and posting about my favorite subject - sex.

IIRC, not many people liked the book I recommended either, Lamb.

I had mixed emotions about the plot. At first, I was struck with the notion that it was very believable, especially when the disfigured abortion clinic bomber decided to take St. John's constant harangues about the Whore of Babylon to heart, and devised a pretty ingenious way of getting her to commit suicide. I really didn't find it all that implausible. I could see an Eric Rudolph with computer skills actually attempting this.

But when they got to the nuclear weapons in the deep sea, that was a little far fetched, though I've read a lot of thrillers that made the NY Times best seller list, and were much farther out in the stratosphere than this plot.

(BTW, you wouldn't consider getting rid of the word verification function would you? Don't mean to kick you when you're feeling down, but it's a PITA.;) )

 
At 7:08 AM, March 16, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

SI - Oooo. I had forgotten Lamb! You're right; more people hated that one!

As for the capcha, I'll turn it off, and see what happens.

 
At 10:15 AM, March 16, 2008 Blogger Spanish Inquisitor had this to say...

Test

Ahhh. Much better.

Have you read his book, Country of The Blind? I've had it here on my TBR pile for so long, and instead of reading it, I went and bought the NL selection. It says on the cover blurb
"A high octane political thriller doused in stinging satire."

Just because he didn't do a great job on one doesn't mean they're all forgettable.

 
At 12:51 PM, March 16, 2008 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

«As for the capcha, I'll turn it off, and see what happens.»

Yay! I've always hated blogger's CAPTCHAs.

On the other hand, without comment moderation you might expect to be deleting some number of garbage comments. I use moderation, as you know, and I reject a few spam comments a week. I could skip the moderation and delete them after the fact, but I'd rather moderate. That also gives people a convenient way to contact me privately, and there've been a couple of times when someone posted a comment, nearly immediately followed by one that said, "Please don't post that!"

On the other hand, when there's a really active thread of comment discussion, moderation dampens it a bit (by slowing down the exchange), so it's better not to be moderating when that happens.

 
At 3:54 PM, March 16, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

@SI - yes! I love Country of the Blind - I love all the Parlabane novels, in fact, although for my money Brookmyre's masterwork is One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night.

 
At 3:55 PM, March 16, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

@Barry - we'll see how it goes. Since I've got my email address (one of them) posted on the blog, I don't need to use comments that way. But if spam gets annoying, I'll rethink the decision.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->