Monday, March 31, 2008

on to the Regionals

ncaaw-logoSo, I haven't blogged about the NCAA tournament yet - early days and all. I didn't even post when they beat Purdue Tuesday for Pat Summit's 100th tournament win and - more importantly - keeping the streak of round-of-sixteen appearances (blame fev for that awkard phrasing: he says I can't say "elite" or "sweet"... oops. Does that count?) alive. They've never not made it that far. And I don't just mean "never when they were in the tournament" either. Or maybe I do; they've never not been in the tournament, after all. But I can't hold back any longer.

We don't mind seeing Notre Dame in the bracket. Sure, they won the championship in 2001, but Muffet McGraw is 0-15 against UT. Make that 0-16 after last night.

Candace Parker matched her career best with 34 points and 13 rebounds, leading Parker having fun (AP Photo/Danny Johnston) UT to the regional finals for the eighth straight year. Shannon Bobbitt (Go, 00!) added a pair of treys and finished with 11; Nicky Anosike had 10 points and 10 rebounds.

Back in January - a game I got to see live - the Lady Vols shot 55 percent from 3-point range in scorching Notre Dame 87-63. Last night the Irish guarded the 3-point line and guarded it hard, but the Vols stepped up the inside game and won 74-64. So props to the Irish for getting it so close, seriously. It was a good game.

But now it's on to the Regional Finals. Looks like the seeders did a good job; the Regionals will be pitting Number 1 against Number 2 across the board. Maybe I can't say the E-word - but I can say the Vols are trying for their 17th Final Four when they play Texas A&M tomorrow night. The Aggies, by the way, are hoping for their first.

Me? I'm hoping for a final four of UT, Rutgers, Maryland, and LSU. But I won't be surprised to see UConn or Stanford or North Carolina there...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->