Saturday, April 26, 2008

Music Meme

I saw this at Sciencewoman's blog. I don't have lots of commenters, but what the hell, I'll give it a go, especially since I'll be on an airplane (or in an airport) for most of the day...

Step 1: Put your MP3 player or whatever on random.
Step 2: Post the first line from the first 25 songs that play*, no matter how embarrassing the song. **
Step 3: Post and let everyone you know guess what song and artist the lines come from.
Step 4: Strike through when someone gets them right. I'll put it in italics if the title has been gotten, but not the artist.
Step 5: Looking them up on Google or any other search engine is CHEATING.

* I had to skip some that were instrumentals...
** May 1 - I'm adding the second line to the ones not yet guessed. I'll post the answers Sunday...

Some of these will be easy enough to get the title (what's with people who name their songs after the first words???), others might not be. #18 I wasn't sure what to count as the first line so I gave you both options.

1 When all our tears have reached the sea / Part of you will live in me
2 Down in Carlyle there lived a lady / Being most beautiful and gay
3 Stay just a little bit longer (Stay - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons)
4 Take to the highway, won't you lend me your name (Country Road - James Taylor)
5 I remember all my life / Raining down as cold as ice (Mandy - Barry Manilow)
6 Monday, Monday so good to me (Monday, Monday - the Mamas and the Papas)
7 I remember holding on to you / All them long, lonely night I put you through
8 Straight on to the beaten path / Face down into its aftermath
9 If I listen long enough to you (Reason to Believe - Rod Stewart)
10 Though you don't believe your eyes / As your mind's taken by surprise
11 Brainwashed in our childhood / Brainwashed by our schools
12 As I rode out one May morning down by a shady lane /I met with Captain Woodstock, the keeper of the game
13 I look at you all, see the love there that's sleeping (While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Beatles)
14 At my door the leaves are falling / the cold wild wind will come
15 It must have been moonglow (Moonglow - Rod Stewart)
16 You've got to pay your dues if you want to sing the blues (It Don't Come Easy)
17 High wind in these northern skies will carry you away /You know you have to leave here, you wish that you could stay
18 (And I heard as it were the noise of thunder) There's a man going 'round taking names (The Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash)
19 The rope that's wrapped around me is cutting through my skin / The doubts that have surrounded me are finding their way in
20 Spring was never waiting for us, girl / it ran one step ahead while we followed in the dance
21 The Sun is a mass of incandescent gas (Why Does the Sun Shine - They Might Be Giants)
22 As your body floats down Third Street / with the burn-smell factory closing up
23 I've been traveling on a boat, in a plane / In a car, on a bike, with a bus and train
24 Oh, the sun is slowly sinking down (You Can Close Your Eyes - James Taylor)
25 In the velvet darkness of the blackest night (Over at the Frankenstein Place - Rocky Horror Picture Show Original Soundtrack)

Labels:

21 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, April 26, 2008 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Here's a quick pass.

3 Stay -- many artists, so let's say Jackson Browne
4 Country Road -- James Taylor
6 Monday, Monday -- The Mamas and the Papas
9 Reason to Believe -- Tim Hardin (but yours is probably Rod Stewart)
13 While My Guitar Gently Weeps -- The Beatles
15 Moonglow -- don't know artist
16 It Don't Come Easy -- Ringo Starr

 
At 9:12 AM, April 26, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Got all the songs right. But the artists on 3 and 16 are wrong. 13 you got, but it could have been the Eric Clapton cover from Concert for George since they're both on my player.

 
At 9:52 AM, April 26, 2008 Blogger William had this to say...

Either you and I have markedly different musical tastes, or I'm really, really bad at this game. I recognised "Monday Monday", if that counts?

Fun, though. I'll try to get my own version up later today...

 
At 10:05 AM, April 26, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Most likely the former.

 
At 3:04 PM, April 26, 2008 Blogger fev had this to say...

Try singing No. 21 to the tune of "That's Amore."

Meanwhile, I'm still having trouble coming to grips with Rod Stewart singing "Moonglow."

 
At 4:03 PM, April 26, 2008 Blogger Wishydig had this to say...

#5 can't be a shortened intro to "in my life" minus 'there are places' ... can it? A remake perhaps?

and how about james taylor 'you can close your eyes' for #24. But I'm used to hearing it with 'well'. 'Well' is such a JT word.

 
At 11:14 PM, April 26, 2008 Blogger Unknown had this to say...

Is #21 Why Does the Sun Shine - TMBG?

 
At 10:17 AM, April 27, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Wishydig - nope on #5. #24 is right - the cover is from One Man Band and I'm pretty sure he sings "Oh" not "Well"...

Ordinary Girl - Yes! TMBG! And considering how much of them is on the player it's odd how little showed up...

 
At 1:09 PM, April 27, 2008 Blogger William had this to say...

Is No. 16 ELO? I hear that ringing in my head with Jeff Lynne singing it, but well just be that the delusions are back again.

I know what you mean about having so many tracks from a given artist, yet *none* came up when you try this trick. I have practically everything recorded by Billy Bragg in my library, and a horde of tracks by the Kingston Trio (to pick two at random) and neither came up on my list - now up for your amusement, with that less-than-helpful hint...

 
At 1:10 PM, April 27, 2008 Blogger William had this to say...

"...it could well just be that..."

Apparently, the delusions are accompanied by a decreased typing ability.

 
At 1:41 PM, April 27, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Jeff Lynne has done it, but that's not the cover I have.

 
At 8:26 PM, April 27, 2008 Blogger AbbotOfUnreason had this to say...

I think 21 is They Might Be Giants: Why Does the Sun Shine?

 
At 5:49 PM, April 28, 2008 Blogger Wishydig had this to say...

#18 The Man Comes Around? Johnny Cash? With some missing lines?

 
At 2:16 AM, April 29, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Wishydig, yes. I wasn't sure what to treat as the "first line" - the Biblical quote he opens with, or the first sung line.

 
At 4:37 PM, April 29, 2008 Blogger goofy had this to say...

25 - Over at the Frankenstein Place

 
At 5:16 PM, April 29, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

goofy - Yes!

 
At 12:38 PM, May 01, 2008 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Aiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

5. "Mandy", Barry Manilow

I don't know which is more frightening: that it's on your MP3 player, or that I know it.

It had better not turn into an earwig now!

 
At 12:43 PM, May 01, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Yes, well, there's my "embarrassing" one, I guess.

 
At 12:47 PM, May 01, 2008 Blogger Wishydig had this to say...

I'm afraid to do this meme because of what it would reveal.

 
At 3:46 PM, May 01, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Should I add that that is not the only Manilow on my mp3 player? Though it is the only one that turned up on this list. No Proclaimers made it, no Orbison, no Hvorostovsky, no Neil Young, no Bana... but Manilow did. And Mandy, of all songs.

 
At 8:33 AM, May 02, 2008 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Yes, I think I could Copa better with the cabana, or even "Bandstand".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->