Saturday, May 03, 2008

English Birds

Here are a few shots I got this week on my flying trip to Harrogate and Ripon. I don't know what all of the birds are, though (but thanks to John, now I do for all but one), and some of the shots are not all that good. I also saw a raven, and a kite - what a magnificent sight that was!

rookThis is a rook jackdaw on a rooftop (well, the guy at the Fountains Abbey said "I think that's a rook"). My first - they're stockier than crows, and walk with a rolling gait, like a bulldog.

rookAnother rook jackdaw (I think)

mystery 1I have no idea what this is! It's a pied wagtail!

mystery 1 and crow/rookSame bird with what I think is a crow but might be a rook jackdaw walking out from behind the wall.

mystery 1Same guy.

chaffinchBut this is a chaffinch. A rather tame one at Fountains Abbey.

chaffinch
mystery 2
This is a tit - a blue tit, I'm pretty sure.

mystery 2
Different one, but another tit.

mystery 2
magpieAnd this, of course, is a magpie.

blackbirdThis blackbird was taken through a window pane in my hotel room.

blackbird femaleI think this is a female blackbird but it might be some other kind of thrush is probably a mistle thrush or possibly a song thrush.

giant pigeonAnd this is a giant pigeon. All the pigeons I saw were huge, and they all looked much alike, none of the variety I'm used to in city pigeons (mongrel rock pigeons) - these are wood pigeons. They were ginormous, seriously. One landed on the top of a tiny tree, the branch bending steeply under his weight as he nibbled the new buds. I thought he was going to break it.

giant pigeons

mystery 3And once again, one I'm not certain of a goldfinch, European version. I spotted him at Leeds-Bradford airport.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, May 03, 2008 Blogger John B. had this to say...

I think the first mystery bird is a type of wagtail. The last looks like a European Goldfinch.

 
At 11:46 PM, May 03, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Thanks! With that pointer I found him: a pied wagtail.

 
At 9:17 PM, May 04, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

I believe all those "rooks" are actually jackdaws. The thrush type could be either song or mistle--looks more like the latter from the photo because it appears more greyish than brown, but can't really judge the scale (mistle is larger than song).

The wood pigeons brought back fond memories of my arrival in England four years ago, when I first spotted them from the back of the London cab that took me from Paddington to Notting Hill. Despite the jeg lag, they made quite an impression.

 
At 11:24 PM, May 04, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Thanks, TBFKALC! The guy at Fountains Abbey said "I think that's a rook" when I asked him, so I took his word for it, never having seen one - but then I've never seen a jackdaw, either.

 
At 4:29 AM, July 10, 2008 Blogger Charlie had this to say...

Hi. At last I get an opportunity to answer a question about British birds! The thrush is a Song Thrush (Mistles are very grey with clean flanks), and the tits are all Blue Tits. Everything else is spot-on!
Cheers. Charlie

 
At 10:57 AM, July 10, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Thanks, Charlie!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->