Sunday, June 22, 2008

Butterfly on Buttonbush

Well, I went to enature.com and tried to find out what this guy is, but no joy. My searches came up empty, or with butterflies he clearly isn't (Tawny Emperor, Painted Lady, Red Admiral...). Does anybody know? (here are some bumblebees on the same flower for a size comparison)

Aha. It's a Silver-spotted Skipper (hmmm. It's in enature, but doesn't come up even if I put in "skipper"and "orange" and "white".) Thanks, John!

butterfly on buttonbush

butterfly on buttonbush

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, June 22, 2008 Blogger John B. had this to say...

Silver-spotted Skipper.

 
At 3:40 PM, June 22, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Aha! Thanks!

 
At 9:33 AM, July 20, 2010 Blogger Barbara had this to say...

Thank you! My mother has about 8 of these that swarm her butterfly bush & my kids and I have been trying to ID them!

Barbara

 
At 8:25 AM, July 25, 2010 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

You're quite welcome. John recommended Kaufman's field guide to butterflies to me, and it's just marvellous.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->