Saturday, June 28, 2008

Songs from a Traveler

Since I have to get up at 3:30 a.m. Saturday, and as you read this I'm (hopefully) on a plane but possibly sitting around an airport waiting on it, there won't be any real posting today. Play with this repeat of the song meme if you like. mp3 player on random, first line of the first 25 songs. You're supposed to guess the song and the artist, which is sometimes very hard - which makes up for the gimme titles, I suppose.

(struck through if guessed correctly; italics if song right)

Added a second line to the unguessed ones...


1 Lay down your sweet and weary head
2 Endlessly blue above me, Endlessly blue beneath, The buoyancy of belief
3 I'm not gonna talk about doubts and confusion on a night when I can see with my eyes shut (ummm, this is repeated a lot so I'm skipping to) I’d never been to Ayrshire, I hitched down one Saturday, Sixty miles to Kilmarnock To see Hibernian play
4 Rowers gliding along the river, Canadian geese crap along the bank, The back wheel of my bike begins to quiver - The chain is wrapped around the crank
5 There is a town in North Ontario (it was kd lang, but I have Neil Young, too)
6 As I leave my single life behind Thoughts are kind of spinning in my mind - First I think about you, then I think about me loving you
7 Well I was born up north of Great Slave, 1898, And I rode near all my life on a ranch near Devil's Gate
8 Come on, baby, let's get out of this town, I've got a full tank of gas with the top rolled down. There's a chill in my bones, I don't want to be alone
9 I'm your only friend - I'm not your only friend
10 Love hurts, love scars (Roy Orbison, but I have Rod Stewart, too)
11 V'là l'bon vent, v'là l'joli vent (I'm gonna give you this, wishydig - Ian and Sylvia)
12 Some say you've got to lose to win, Any moment now our luck will stumble in And claim us at the Lost and Found, And help us all get our feet back on the ground
13 Make a hole with a gun perpendicular To the name of this town on a desktop globe Exit wound in a foreign nation Showing the home of the one this was written for
14 Last night I waved goodbye, now it seems years; I'm back in the city, where nothing is clear But thoughts of me holding you bringing us near
15 Hitomi wo fuseru to (Shell, by Bana)
16 I can see there ain't no room for me You're only holding out your heart in sympathy: If there's another man, Well girl, I understand, Go on and take his hand
17 There comes a time when all of us must leave here, There's nothing Sister Mary can do To keep me here with you
18 Well, I won't back down (actually Johnny Cash, but with Tom Petty)
19 Won't need no shadow man runnin' the government, Won't need no stinkin' war, Won't need no haircut, won't need no shoe shine
20 On the day that I went away Goodbye was all I had to say, Now I, I want to come again and stay, Oh my my, Smile and that will mean I may
21 Here comes the sun
22 What I feel, I can't say
23 There's a young man that I know, Just turned 21, Comes from down in southern Colorado
24 Cigarettes and chocolate milk, these are just a couple of my cravings
25 When it's love you give (I'll be a man of good faith) then in love you live. (I'll make a stand. I won't break) I'll be the rock you can build on, Be there when you’re old, to have and to hold

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, June 28, 2008 Blogger Wishydig had this to say...

Well I'll shoot the big fat sitting ducks (barring any tricky covers) -

9. Birdhouse in your soul -- TMBG
10: Love Hurts -- Nazareth
11: V'là l'bon vent, v'là l'joli vent -- by any Canadian?
18: I won't back down -- Tom Petty
21: Here comes the sun -- The Beatles
24: Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk -- Rufus Wainwright

 
At 8:57 AM, June 28, 2008 Blogger fev had this to say...

(walking to the steam-powered radio uphill, both ways, in the snow ...)

5: Neil Young, "Helpless"
22: George Harrison (unless it's Ringo), "What is Life?"

 
At 12:18 PM, June 28, 2008 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Ah, silly wishydig. Had you read Ridger's comment here, you'd know that 10 is probably not Nazareth....

5. ...unless it's the k.d.lang cover, from "Hymns of the 49th Parallel".

My, my. I can't do much with this list at all. 5, 10, 21, and 22 are the only ones I recognize.

 
At 3:40 PM, June 28, 2008 Blogger AbbotOfUnreason had this to say...

Well I thought 8 was Jude Cole's Start the Car, but it wasn't

Which really doesn't add anything to the conversation, but I didn't want to be left out since TMBG was already identified.

 
At 10:58 AM, June 30, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

Geek alert - 15 is the theme from the Witch Hunter Robin anime, and 1 is from the Annie Lennox song that ends Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy, which I believe was called Into The West.

I'm slightly ashamed that those are the only two left that I know...

 
At 12:40 PM, June 30, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

So far, all the songs that have been guessed are right, though not all the artists.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->