Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Week in Entertainment

Film: Reprise, which is a quirky and engaging Norwegian film about young writers in Oslo. Non-linear, and in fact in large part set in the conditional tense mood (argh (for my error, not the storytelling device)), the story engages you and draws you in, makes you laugh and catch your breath - and feel sorrow. What a debut for Joachim Trier and Eskil Vogt (director/writer & writer).

TV:The Middleman. I'm not sure if I like this or hate it, so I guess I'll to give it another shot next week. The Doctor ... "Count the Shadows." Is that a creepy line or what? "It's what's in the dark. It's what's always in the dark." Donna talking with Miss Evangelista, how sad, how terribly sad. And when Dr Moon confronted the little girl and told her "Listen, This is important. There's the real world, and there's the world of nightmares...What I want you to remember is this, and I know it's hard, but it's important: The real world is a lie. And your nightmares are real." - whoa. What a tremendous episode. Stephen Moffat writes brilliant stuff. I can't wait to watch it properly - not on SciFi with a hundred commercials and stupid flashing crap at the bottom of the screen all the time. Next week must come soon! ps - I love the Doctor warning Donna about "spoilers" in her life, and her asking him "Isn't traveling with you one big spoiler?" and his answer: "I try to keep you away from major plot developments ... which, to be honest, I seem to be very bad at."

Read: Yellow Dog, by Charles de Lint. Two Death books - The Time of Your Life & The High Cost of Living, and also Dream Hunters, which is just gorgeous to read and to look at - Yoshitaka Amano's illustrations are breathtaking. I do like Neil Gaiman. I'm going to treat myself to a nice set of The Sandman for a promotion present. Started Pinker's The Stuff of Thought.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->