Thursday, July 31, 2008

Why I'm Not Posting

Couldn't have come at a better time ... There's a Nonbelieving Literati post due on Aug 1, and I come home from the hospital where my father's just had back surgery to this:
Your blog at: http://thegreenbelt.blogspot.com/ has been identified as a potential spam blog. To correct this, please request a review by filling out the form at [url redacted]

Your blog will be deleted within 20 days if it isn't reviewed, and you'll be unable to publish posts during this time. After we receive your request, we'll review your blog and unlock it within two business days. If this blog doesn't belong to you, you don't have to do anything, and any other blogs you may have won't be affected.

We find spam by using an automated classifier. Automatic spam detection is inherently fuzzy, and occasionally a blog like yours is flagged incorrectly. We sincerely apologize for this error. By using this kind of system, however, we can dedicate more storage, bandwidth, and engineering resources to bloggers like you instead of to spammers. For more information, please see Blogger Help: http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=42577

Thank you for your understanding and for your help with our spam-fighting efforts.
So I hope they get to it tomorrow (today is Thursday, July 31), but probably they won't until Monday. Especially since their message on the posting page reads (my emphasis):
Blogger's spam-prevention robots have detected that your blog has characteristics of a spam blog. Since you're an actual person reading this, your blog is probably not a spam blog. Automated spam detection is inherently fuzzy, and we sincerely apologize for this false positive.

We received your unlock request on August 1, 2008. On behalf of the robots, we apologize for locking your non-spam blog. Please be patient while we take a look at your blog and verify that it is not spam.
Oh, did I mention how thrilled I am to be told my blog was tagged by an automated classifier which thinks spam blogs "can be recognized by their irrelevant, repetitive, or nonsensical text, along with a large number of links, usually all pointing to a single site"?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 8:16 AM, August 01, 2008 Blogger Wishydig had this to say...

Uh...I got this exact notice Thursday evening.

So did you post this and set it on a queue to post once your blog got the green light?

The message told me I couldn't publish any new posts.

hmm...

 
At 11:24 AM, August 01, 2008 Blogger John B. had this to say...

My blog was marked as spam a year or two ago. A few days after I submitted the request for review, I got a message saying that Blogger determined it wasn't spam. It was annoying, and kind of disturbing, but didn't cause my blog to be deleted. There was no real explanation for what triggered the filter.

 
At 6:50 PM, August 01, 2008 Blogger John Evo had this to say...

And yet, you're still likely to be among the first posting on Cosmicomics! I think 2 are up presently.

 
At 10:45 PM, August 01, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

@Wishydig - well, I wrote it and it said it was "saved". I hoped that meant it would publish as if scheduled if they cleared the blog. And that seems to be what happened - looks like, in fact, they cleared it Thursday... That was fast. I should have checked Friday morning before I left.

@John - my post should be up now. I'll look at the others tonight, unless they're all up.

 

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->