Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Keep going!

Good speech from Hillary - good points, well delivered, powerful ending. She's right in asking
"I want you to ask yourselves: Were you in this campaign just for me? Or were you in it for that young Marine and others like him? Were you in it for that mom struggling with cancer while raising her kids? Were you in it for that boy and his mom surviving on the minimum wage? Were you in it for all the people in this country who feel invisible?"
That puts it right out there. No phony bonhomie, no lies about how much better a job he'll do than she would have, nothing about not wanting it. Just a flat statement that "he must be our president" because
"Nothing less than the fate of our nation and the future of our children hang in the balance.

I want you to think about your children and grandchildren come election day. And think about the choices your parents and grandparents made that had such a big impact on your life and on the life of our nation."
"No way, no how, no McCain." She nailed the speech.

(And her statement that "My mother was born before women could vote; my daughter got to vote for her mother for president" was particularly resonant for me.)

Keep going!, she says. Keep going.

We must elect Obama this fall. He's not perfect - not my dream candidate. But the alternative is so horrible to contemplate that I don't mind it.

ps - But I do have a quibble. She just said whether we voted for her or Obama we needed to support him now. Yes, of course, but why is it that those of us who voted for Kucinich or Dodd or Edwards are expected to fall in line without special pleading?)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->