Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Week in Entertainment

Film: The Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. Well, as Roger Ebert said, you what you're getting when you go in. And of its kind of film, this one was pretty danged good.

DVD: Stargate: Continuum. This was very satisfying. I honestly don't know how well it would work for someone who hadn't seen all the Goa'uld episodes (and I loved that Ra was there!), but I am very pleased.

TV: Not anything, really. Too much catching up at work from the extra week gone.

Read: Tamora Pierce's first quartet (Song of the Lioness). Honestly I think it's her weakest. Pretty good, but I don't know that I'd have moved on if I'd read it first. My friend was wise to lend them to me out of order. Finally got around to the end of Neil Gaiman's Sandman. You know how something can be so good you don't want it to end? But The Kindly Ones was brilliant. And the story can't be told until it's done, right?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:39 AM, August 18, 2008 Blogger Lynet had this to say...

I'm a Sandman fan, too. Im only up to 'A Game Of You', though. I know what you mean about not wanting to reach the end. Still, it's nice that they are the sort of books that you can get a lot from reading slowly.

 
At 1:03 PM, August 18, 2008 Blogger Tayi had this to say...

I have actually been re-reading Tamora Pierce's books lately. Well, listening to them on tape while I knit. I do agree that some of her later books are better than Song of the Lioness, but when I first read Alanna I was about ten years old and it made a huge impression on me. It may have been the very first book I ever read that advanced the idea that girls could be genuinely equal in all parts of life, and I will be forever grateful to Pierce for writing it.

 
At 2:26 PM, August 18, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

If I had read it forty years I would undoubtedly feel exactly like you do. Song of the Lioness is an excellent YA for girls to read and I've given it to my grandniece. (Oh, I feel so old...)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->