Saturday, September 20, 2008

Silver shining in the dawn

So, Thursday morning as I was walking towards work, the sun was just rising over the edge of the trees and the mist was rising off the ground. From the length of the fence line I saw something silver shining in the slanting light - silver, roundish, and well off the ground.

spiderwebIt took a few seconds for me to identify it, but once I had it was obvious: a spider web, wet with dew.

spiderwebI'd seen a large one behind a catbird earlier this week, but that one had been flat against bushes and almost invisible. This one would be hard to see once the dew dried, but it was suspended between two Bradford pears to catch insects flying through the trees.

spiderweb

spiderwebI'm not sure what this spider is - some sort of garden spider, I believe, but which kind specifically I don't know. She is a garden spider - to be specific, a cross spider, aka diadem spider, or European garden spider (thanks, Weeta!). And what a hard worker she is, to spin this thing anew every morning. (Yes, she was there again Friday, and may have been there all week, just not so obviously.)

spiderweb

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, September 20, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

Phew! For a second there, I thought you were going to tell me it was the Virgina Mary.

 
At 6:53 PM, September 20, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Oh, she's better than the Virgin Mary any day.

 
At 1:29 AM, September 21, 2008 Blogger Susannah Anderson had this to say...

She looks like a cross spider, to me. (Cross, as in the shape, not that she's in a bad mood; I'm sure she's a cheerful sort.) Araneus diadematus; the colour is right, and the habit -- building their circular web every night across pathways, hanging in the centre all day. Catching insects, and the occasional human face.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->