Saturday, October 18, 2008

A little knowledge ...

... can ruin a joke. Over at Sinfest today Tatsuya gives us State-Sponsored Comic Strip #2. Here are the opening and closing panels:

first panelfourth panel
People do this all the time to achieve a stylistic effect. A friend of mine once suffered what he describes as the most amazing feeling of dyslexia trying to read the credits for Red Heat, with the English words and the Cyrillic characters. That's what happened to me today with Sinfest.

I actually read the first two words as "aeed eeosh" before realizing what he was doing. The substitution of Я (ya) for R is old stuff, and so is И (which is (continental) I) for N - but the others... he used the Ё for E, but that letter is pronounced YO. This one Й is a consonantal Y. СОМІК is good in Ukrainian Cyrillic, a kind of fish (СОМИК in Russian), but it's pronounced someek. Ш is SH, and Ц is TS. Ч is the CH of 'church', and unfortunately ЧОЦ is completely pronounceable - as CHOTS. Also, he picked Ч instead of У for his Y (У is U) which is what I'm a bit more used to seeing in this pastiche alphabet. Still, by the end of the strip I wasn't really having trouble. H is a good Cyrillic letter - it's N - as is Д (D), so НД took me a bit, even in context, to figure out: HO HO HO HA HA HA, not ND ND ND...

But I got it all figured out without much trouble. Except for this: ФВЁЧ

ФВЁЧ is FVYoCh. But trying to get Latin letters - and going back from ЧОЦ = YOU - all I could come up with was ?BEY. I couldn't get FBEY out of my head for the longest time, since there was no Latin letter I could think of that resembled Ф. (There's theta, of course - Ф is often used to go in Russian from a TH, since that sound doesn't exist in Russian, hence all the Fyodors from Theodore, but ThBEY (or TBEY) didn't make any sense, either, even if it had fit the pattern.)

It was probably five minutes before I figured it out. Some of you are laughing at me. But in case you are, instead, still wondering - obviously Tatsuya wanted that whole word to look "Soviet", and instead of the perfectly good Cyrillic letter that actually matches the Roman one perfectly, he selected one that sorta kinda matches. But not the one he used in COMIK! Damn you, Tatsuya! Can't you be consistent? OВЁЧ would have been easier to decode ... into OBEY.

I'll bet it was much funnier and much more comprehensible to people who don't know the Cyrillic alphabet(s).

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, October 18, 2008 Blogger incunabular had this to say...

It's certainly "OBEY."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/André_the_Giant_Has_a_Posse

 
At 2:38 PM, October 18, 2008 Blogger Ellen Kozisek had this to say...

I found "obey" easy to decipher. In fact, there was no process of deciphering. I just saw it and read it like it was normal English letters. Which includes looking at the word as a whole, rather than letter by letter.

I do think you are right in saying not knowing the Cyrillic alphabet making it more comprehensible. I suspect knowing the Cyrillic alphabet would interfere with that kind of automatic recognition. Whereas for me, everything but that Ф looks like a weird variation on a English letter, making it like reading a fancy font, and I guess it was automatic to look at Ф the same way.

 
At 2:43 PM, October 18, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Yes, as soon as I figured it out it was obvious. D'oh obvious, in fact.

 
At 3:47 PM, October 18, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

"НД НД НД" is "HA HA HA" actually.
A->Д stylization is used pretty often.

 
At 5:40 PM, October 18, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

HA HA HA - yes. Of course.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->