Friday, November 14, 2008

Als vs Eskimos

alouettes
I haven't mentioned my Canadian obsession this summer, but ... the Montréal Alouettesgrey cup 2008 are in the running to make it to the Grey Cup (again! w00t!). Tomorrow they play in the Finale de l'Est (East Final) against the Edmonton Eskimos (I know, they're in the West. But they were 10-8-0 in the season, better than anyone in the East but the Als. So they made it). Anthony Calvillo, the Als' quarterback, is a perennial power, and Ricky Ray is no slouch either. Both teams have tough offenses and slightly spotty defenses, so the game could be high-scoring. The West sees the BC Lions (11-7-0, the same as Montréal) and the Calgary Stampeders (13-5-0, best in the league) trying to play for the Grey.

The Cup will be contested in Montreal this year, so it would be a real shame if the Alouettes weren't there.
Passion. Pouvoir. Fierté. Nos Alouettes!

Als logo

Pride. Passion. Power. Our Alouettes!

(update: Montreal quarterback Anthony Calvillo threw for 295 yards and one touchdown, while Jamel Richardson had six receptions for 91 yards as the Alouettes won the right to play in their 16th Grey Cup, scoring 33 unanswered points en route to a 36-26 Eastern Final victory.)

This year in Montreal! Cette année à Montréal!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, November 15, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

Okay, I wasn't expecting to see a post here about Canadian football! As someone who lived in Calgary for 30 years, I'm used to allegiances that go: I'm for the the Flames/Stamps, or whoever is playing Edmonton. My team loyaties are kind of scattered all over, depending on places I've lived. In this case, I guess I'd have to go with Edmonton...even if it feels a little wrong. My other football team in the UMich Wolverines, and right now they are stinking pretty bad. So, go Eskies!

 
At 10:53 AM, November 15, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

I got into Canadian football when Baltimore got an expansion team - the Stallions, who won the Grey Cup in 1995. The Stallions of course left Baltimore after that, once the city crawled back to the NFL, but I still follow them in their new home.

Plus, that lark is one fierce bird!

 
At 5:04 PM, November 15, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

I'm partial to the Blue Bombers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->