Friday, November 28, 2008

Could have, could've, could of

So I finished all the books I'd brought home and started on some J.A. Jances that my sister had left here. The protagonist, Sheriff Joanna Brady, corrects her daughter's grammar at least once per book (so far). I've merely rolled my eyes at the futility of it, but this one takes the cake:
"People were in danger," Joanna answered. "I was afraid someone might get hurt."

"It could of been you," Jennifer shot back.

"Could have," Joanna corrected reflexively.

"Have," Jennifer repeated woodenly, scowling.
First, I'm with Jennifer. There's (probably) a time and place for correcting your daughter's grammar, but not when she's just seen you almost be killed - like her father was a couple of months ago.

And second (or Also!): Sheesh. Does Joanna really not pronounce "could have" like "could of"? Jennifer is going to sound like a pompous twit.

As T-Rex said to Utahraptor when the latter caught him "using the wrong it's": Noticing such things in spoken language is impossible!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, November 29, 2008 Blogger Unknown had this to say...

"Could of" drives me crazy when I read it, but the only reason people use it is because it sounds like "could have" and they don't realize it's a different word. No one has ever corrected a spoken "could of," because they didn't realize anything was wrong.

 
At 1:20 PM, November 29, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Exactly!

 
At 2:32 AM, December 04, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

Actually I have heard it pronounced with the rounded back vowel that us non-Americans use in "of", but this is very rare. The sole instance I can remember was from a teenage girl in the mid nineties.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->