Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Week in Entertainment

Film: Bolt - much funnier than I was expecting. The animation has come a long way, but they still haven't quite mastered the contact problem; when Penny petted or hugged the dog, you didn't really sense they were actually touching.

DVD: Numb3rs rest of Season 2 and Season 3. And now I'm dying to see Season 4 (get. here. already.) because Colby is still here. It must have been some hugely elaborate sting, the "he's a Chinese double agent" thing. The Bucket List. Certainly well-written and -acted, but for crying out loud. This was 2007. When I had chemo back in 2002 my oncologist told me there was no excuse for getting crappy medications - and I didn't feel nauseated once. But the one side effect that he also said he could guarantee didn't happen to either one of these guys: hair loss. And honestly, how many movies do we have to get with the Wise Old Black (Wo)Man setting the foolish white person straight with their innate God-given faith and homespun wisdom? Plus, I know Morgan Freeman has this great voice-over voice, but having him do the opening voice-over was deceptive! But still, an enjoyable film.

TV: House - is it just me, or is it weird that Chase and Cameron are still in the credits when the new gang aren't? Especially Chase - if he gets two lines a week it's astonishing. Oh, by the way: I still hate Hadley. Enormously. Cameron looks good in comparison. Why couldn't this have been the Kuttner-centric episode I've been longing for? Why do the writers think Hadley is our favorite? WHYYYYY? The Mentalist which was a bit dismaying this week. I really hope they didn't want to imply that Jane believed that spiritualist had reached his wife. Eleventh Hour, still watchable though not brilliant. Numb3rs - I am so glad I started watching this show. This episode was riveting.

Read: Sherlock Holmes was wrong, a re-examination of the Hound of the Baskervilles case by Pierre Bayard (the guy who looked at the murders of Hamlet's dad and Roger Ackroyd). It was entertaining and pretty convincing. The Price of Butcher's Meat - the new Dalziel and Pascoe and as good as they usually are. (Which is "extremely" in case you weren't sure.) Life Among the Lilliputians by Judy DiGregorio, an amusing collection of vignettes. Jar City by Arnaldur IndriĆ°ason - a bleak but fascinating mystery set in Reykjavik.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->