Sunday, January 18, 2009

Happy Birthday, Peter Mark

Lol Roget
Peter Mark Roget was born today in 1779, in London.

His Thesaurus has been an invaluable tool for many writers - a work of genius. More people need lessons in how to use it, but that's not his fault. For one thing, he didn't intend it to be a dictionary of synonyms, but rather a classification of English's lexicon - "of the words it contains and of the idiomatic combinations peculiar to it, arranged, not in alphabetical order as they are in a dictionary, but according to the ideas which they express."

(image from loltheorists)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, January 18, 2009 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

I use a dictionary-style Thesaurus now, but I still have the old well-thumbed hardcover edition with the original format, plus an equally worn 1947 Webster's dictionary. Both were on the shelf at home when I was a kid. I'm thankful to my folks for two things - insisting I look up every word I ever questioned (not to mention creating the environment that encouraged questioning words in the first place!) and for insisting I take Latin for my high school language requirement instead of one of the other choices.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->