Saturday, January 31, 2009

Long vowels say their name ... sometimes

Kingdom is a British television series (starring Stephen Fry as a market town solicitor). It's very good. It's set in East Anglia, and the locals pronounce their long U with no jotation (except at the beginning of words, such as university).

Huge is hooge, beauty is booty, human rights become hooman rights.

It's an accent I've never noticed before.

(And may I add how equally odd it is to see Thoroughbreds going to post without ponies, and then running the wrong way around the track?)

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, February 01, 2009 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Yeah, but at least the series that was available to me left things off right in the middle: we'd found out about the bad guys chasing after his brother, and we get the idea that his brother might be alive after all, and.........

What's next? Is there more? Or did they abandon it at that point?

 
At 12:08 AM, February 02, 2009 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

There is a second series; amazon.co.uk recommended it to me and I shall buy it once I get back to Maryland.

 
At 11:07 PM, February 02, 2009 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Cool! And they have a region 1 version (or you have a hacked DVD player)?

 
At 9:04 AM, February 03, 2009 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

What I have is a multi-region DVD player that I bought off Amazon Marketplace. It came set for all regions - pre-hacked, I guess. About $70, if I remember.

 
At 5:47 AM, December 20, 2009 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

Не первый раз уже подымалась эта тема на других сайтах но здесь лучше описанно чем у других, а вообще меньше думайте - а то медицина не поможет

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->