Sunday, February 01, 2009

Happy Birthday, Langston

Today in 1902, in Joplin, Missouri, Langston Hughes was born. After traveling in Europe and West Africa, he came back to New York and became a leading figure in the Harlem Renaissance.

Drean Variations

To fling my arms wide
In some place of the sun,
To whirl and to dance
Till the white day is done.
Then rest at cool evening
Beneath a tall tree
While night comes on gently,
    Dark like me--
That is my dream!

To fling my arms wide
In the face of the sun,
Dance! Whirl! Whirl!
Till the quick day is done.
Rest at pale evening . . .
A tall, slim tree . . .
Night coming tenderly
    Black like me.


There's more Hughes here, including Let America be America again which is too long to put here.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->