Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Unconnected - again

Sigh.

I don't know what's wrong with the Connect-a-Ride bus service in Laurel. No, strike that: I do know what's wrong. I just don't know why.

1.64 miles.

That's how far I had to walk this morning in the freezing cold to get to my Metro bus stop. Because the B bus did not come. Again. Nor did the Laurel-bound J bus. So I was an hour late to work. (I'm lucky; if I'm not teaching, I can be late; we have flexible work schedules. Lots of people don't.)

This is hardly the first time. Last time I posted, the fare was $1.75. Now it's $2.00 - and no transfers to Metro since Connect-a-Ride decided not to go with SmarTrip - and they still can't manage to get drivers. Last month, the day it snowed? The B bus didn't come for over 4 hours. No, I didn't wait for that long; my department had a three-hour delayed arrival, so I went out at 9 o'clock. No bus. Okay, maybe it's running late, but this guy who rides the 6 o'clock with me in the morning showed up walking to catch the inbound J. We head across the street and make it to the mall (that time of morning the Metro 87 isn't running) and I catch the G down to College Park at 10 ... and there is still no B bus.

Today it wasn't that bad. The 7 o'clock B bus did pass me, though I wouldn't have caught an earlier Metro bus if I'd waited for it. I can understand why the bus company is jacking fares up; they're losing riders. Four this morning; three others walked to that Metro stop, too. More permanently, two people who used to take the B bus to the Metro now have their spouses (I presume) drop them at the Metro stop or Park-and-Ride lot. And they're losing riders because they can't keep drivers. Or can't make them come to work on time. Or can't have stand-bys.

You know ... that 1.64 miles? In better weather, that walk will probably do me good. And I won't even have to leave any earlier.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->