Sunday, February 08, 2009

The Week in Entertainment

TV: House. Sigh. Why do the writers think we want the 100th episode to focus on that major annoyance, Thirteen/Hadley? If only she had died. Or just stayed blind. And Cuddy's stupid baby issues - how is it House's fault Cuddy had to come back to work?Chase had even less to do than usual - nothing, in other words - and Cameron wasn't around, either. And Hadley didn't even die or anything. Taub got a lot of screen time, though... When will they give Kuttner a story-line? Hell, I would have liked exploring Wilson's lingering inability to say goodbye to Amber more than more god-damned Hadley. Lie to Me... Yeah, I don't think I'll be making any effort to watch this one. I still don't like the characters, and several are just obnoxious, and the whole "dad knows daughter is lying" angst? Doesn't move me. Don't care. (Everything else is on dvr back home...)

Read: Began Out Stealing Horses on the plane to Washington (state). So far, interesting, though it's a bit disturbing that neither the translator or the editor knew the difference between fawns and fauns... unless Norway has weirder wildlife than I think.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2:53 AM, February 11, 2009 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

TV: House. Sigh. Why does anyone still watch this PoS? I gave up on it long ago.

Seriously; when I read your list of complaints, I do wonder why you, too, haven't given it up.

 
At 10:15 AM, February 11, 2009 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Mostly because Hugh Laurie is a joy to watch, and because although Hadley is annoying she's not the main character. You don't like it, you don't have to watch it. There are several shows I have given up on this year; House is still watchable.

 
At 12:59 PM, February 12, 2009 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

«You don't like it, you don't have to watch it.»

That sounds angry, or at least annoyed. I'm sorry: I didn't mean for my comment to seem like I was criticizing you; I'm not. The "why" was an honest question (which you answered).

I gave up on it not because of characters I didn't like, but because the plots kept following such a formula that I could set my clock based on what stage of treatment they're in. "Ah, they broke into the patient's house; it must be 26 minutes into the show." "They have two alternatives, they have to pick one, and the wrong one will kill the patient; +41 minutes." That sort of thing. And the fact that, after all that, the answer doesn't usually follow from what we've seen. House pulls it out of his... ear... on some odd hunch, reminiscent of the Monty Python sketch wherein the character sees a sardine can in the garbage and realizes he needs to go to Sardinia.

My thing to hang on to, beyond all reason, right now is "Life On Mars". Sometimes I think it's just the stupidest thing on, and yet there's something that makes me want to see where they're going with it.

 
At 1:51 PM, February 12, 2009 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

It's probably because you called it a "pos" and I was tired. It's entertainment; ymmv and that's the point, right? Formula, well done, doesn't bother me; there's a certain satisfaction in watching it unfold. Hell, Columbo was terrific, imo.

Life on Mars? I adored the original and have made a conscious decision not to watch the remake because they've explicitly said it won't end the same way, and the final episode of the original was one of the most satisfying hours of television I have ever seen.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->