Friday, May 29, 2009

Ethnicity, Empathy, and SCOTUS: Sometimes they like it...

For the rabid wing of the GOP it makes a difference which ethnic group you're from, apparently. Case in point (emphasis added):

And that's why I went into that in my opening statement. Because when a case comes before me involving, let's say, someone who is an immigrant -- and we get an awful lot of immigration cases and naturalization cases -- I can't help but think of my own ancestors, because it wasn't that long ago when they were in that position.

And so it's my job to apply the law. It's not my job to change the law or to bend the law to achieve any result.

But when I look at those cases, I have to say to myself, and I do say to myself, "You know, this could be your grandfather, this could be your grandmother. They were not citizens at one time, and they were people who came to this country."

When I have cases involving children, I can't help but think of my own children and think about my children being treated in the way that children may be treated in the case that's before me.

And that goes down the line. When I get a case about discrimination, I have to think about people in my own family who suffered discrimination because of their ethnic background or because of religion or because of gender. And I do take that into account. When I have a case involving someone who's been subjected to discrimination because of disability, I have to think of people who I've known and admire very greatly who've had disabilities, and I've watched them struggle to overcome the barriers that society puts up often just because it doesn't think of what it's doing -- the barriers that it puts up to them.

(transcript and video)

Who's that, you ask? It's Justice Samuel Alito, at his confirmation hearing.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 3:04 AM, May 30, 2009 Blogger Judith Weingarten had this to say...

At least Samuel Alito doesn't menstruate; the Repugs really can't stand that:

"Let's hope that the key conferences aren't when she's menstruating or something, or just before she's going to menstruate. That would really be bad. Lord knows what we would get then." (G. Gordon Liddy on his radio show)

I certainly hope the Senate hearings will clarify whether or not Sotomayor, 54, still has her 'periods'.

Visit Zenobia's blog Empress of the East

 

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->