Thursday, May 21, 2009

Happy Birthday, Manly

manly wade wellmanToday in Kamundongo, Angola, in 1903, Manly Wade Wellman was born (his father was a medical officer). My first book of his was one of his Civil War YA novels (Ghost Battalion), but I quickly fell in love with the John the Balladeer stories. Exquisite writing, and about my homeland - how could I not?

John the BalladeerKarl Edward Wagner says, "There hadn't been anything like the John stories at that time, and there hasn't been since. No one but Manly Wade Wellman could have written these stories. Here his vivid imagination merged with authentic Southern folklore and a heartfelt love of the South and its people. Just as J. R. R. Tolkien brilliantly created a modern British myth cycle, so did Manly Wade Wellman give to us an imaginary world of purely American fact, fantasy, and song."

If you don't know John and his stories, try one - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, May 23, 2009 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

Very cool! I haven't read these stories yet, but Paizo Press a reprint of "John the Balladeer" under its alternate title, "Who Fears the Devil?" I'll probably wait for it to read the short stories, but I already ordered a first edition of the first "Silver John" novels. Have you read those, and if so, how are they?

 
At 8:46 AM, May 23, 2009 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

They're good. I think the shorts are better, but the novels are quite good. I think you'll enjoy them.

 
At 8:59 PM, May 23, 2009 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

I just noticed the link and followed it. That is an ugly cover, but I might have to buy it for the extra two stories...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->