Friday, May 22, 2009

"way beyond anything I’d expected to be disappointed by"

I intend to write something long and probably bitter about the way Obama is failing to live up to his campaign. But right now I'll just quote Michael Bérubé:
Am I disappointed in the guy generally? Well, yes and no. No, because I expected to be disappointed, which kind of throws the whole category of “disappointment” into epistemological crisis. Yes, because “preventative detention” goes way beyond anything I’d expected to be disappointed by.... Anyway, probably the best that can be said for yesterday’s speech is that its best passages set a standard by which Obama’s actual policies can be weighed in the scales and found wanting, beginning with the “preventative detention” outrage. But after hearing that other fellow’s speech yesterday, do I have any regrets about supporting B. Hussein? Nope, not a one.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2:05 AM, May 24, 2009 Anonymous OM had this to say...

But you see, that's the thing. So I trust him to use good judgment. And I trust Holder. There will be no arbitrary arrests.

But what's next? What if Cheney is the next President?

There's so much contradiction with this guy. He says his expertise on constitutional law directs him to close Guantanamo. But that same authority apparently directs him to hold people without a trial?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->