Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Week in Entertainment

DVD: Suspect - you know, when she wants to, Cher can really act. I liked this movie - a teasing mystery with excellent performances by all three leads (Dennis Quaid and Liam Neeson).

TV: House - something odd happened this week. When House told Wilson "Come get me" in the bar, I thought, wow. What a way to end this episode! And then I switched over to see if they were playing baseball somewhere it's not raining, because I didn't want a spoiler for what promised to be a helluvan episode. Except I happened to look in the corner of my laptop and realized it was... 8:51. Yeah. That wasn't the end of the episode. Fortunately I DVR things (since even if I had that thing where you can program your DVR with your phone, I can't take my phone into the office), and so I didn't actually miss the end of the episode. Which wasn't bad, but didn't match an entire episode devoted to what they wrapped up in 10 minutes... Scrubs - the extra episode on Tuesday set up the series finale nicely. I'm glad the huge star-studded ending was in JD's mind; too much wouldn't have fit this show. I've loved it since I found it, and I'm sorry it's gone. Better Off Ted - this episode was hilarious, from the morale survey ("Morale," says Ted, "has gone from 'low' to 'I want to burn the building down', which, frankly, I was surprised was one of the options." I know the odds aren't good, but I really hope this program - witty and intelligent - comes back. The Mentalist - another nice one. . Ladies' Detective Agency - I usually DVR it, but I did watch the end of this wonderful miniseries. Can't wait for it to be on DVD. If you haven't seen it, get to HBO On Demand ASAP! (plus, I did so love those nasty baboons) Having read the books, I can see a hint for more episodes coming - I do hope so!

Read: The Penderwicks and The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (before I give them to my great-niece, which I will because they're wonderful). The Club Dumas - about halfway through this intriguing literary mystery I was feeling like I'd, not read it exactly, but heard about it - a lot. Or something. It was odd. And then in one scene (where he's discussing the third copy of the demonic book with the old countess) I suddenly thought: Johnny Depp. And indeed, his film The Ninth Gate is an adaptation of this book. Which is well-written enough that my having seen the movie not quite a year ago didn't spoil it - especially since the movie concentrated on one of two plotlines in the book.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->