Monday, June 29, 2009

Mystery Tree

Anybody out there have any idea what kind of tree this is? Several years ago I noticed them growing along the Pellissipi Parkway, but no one I've asked has any idea what they are - something not native to East Tennessee, apparently. Recently my brother spotted these specific trees in the Cedar Bluff area of Knoxville, the only place either of us has seen them. The tree id sites don't have it (clearly it's not common), and it's driving us crazy!

updated: I should point out the size of it - Those are telephone wires in the foreground and the tree is pretty far back from them. It's at least thirty feet tall.

updated again: My brother thinks it's Ailanthus altissima (tree of heaven). Looking at the pictures in WikimediaCommons, especially this one, I think he's right...

tree

pods

leaves and pods

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, June 29, 2009 Blogger AbbotOfUnreason had this to say...

I think it's a weed, but it kind of looks like sumac, doesn't it?

 
At 9:25 AM, June 29, 2009 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

No, it's not a weed. It's extremely tall - 30 feet anyway. It's a tree. It does sort of look like sumac leave, but there are no berries, just those winged seedpods that never fall off.

 
At 8:35 PM, June 29, 2009 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

I believe I may owe the AbbotOfUnreason an apology. The USDA agrees, calling Ailanthus "a weed", along with "invasive" and noxious". I guess one definition of a weed is "something that grows where you don't want it" - but I still have a hard time thinking of a tree this big as one...

 
At 7:05 AM, July 02, 2009 Anonymous Tanya had this to say...

Hmmm, that was interesting. Looks like somethings will always remain mystery.

I myself has been trying to solve the mystery of the legend that forces you to have "earn it before

having it", for a wile now. Could not understand much though.

Let me know in case you get to understand the mystery of the Old Hound and the Legend

By the way, good writing style. I'd love to read more on similar topics

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->