Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Week in Entertainment

Movie: Star Trek. Man, that was fun. They could make a movie with that cast every year and I'd watch it. Zach Quinto was wonderful, and the rest were great, too. Sure, they inherited and expanded on Roddenberry's complete lack of comprehension on how the military works ("We don't have a captain, and we don't have a first officer to replace him"? So, without a first officer the ship sits there helpless? I don't think so...), but that wasn't their fault. I loved the Uhura-Spock relationship, and can't help but wonder if this Spock will say, "I am, and pretty nearly always have been, your friend..." Bottom line? It was fun again. Night at the Museum 2: Not as good as the first one, but entertaining enough.

DVD: Some more Morse.

Read: Halfway through Orhan Pamuk's The Black Book, which I'm enjoying even though it's a bit (deliberately) confusing. I'd just about got it sorted that Galip's runaway wife Rüya and his cousin Celâl were half-brother and -sister, but Galip's just told the newspaper staff that they're step-siblings. Of couse, nearly everything Galip has told anyone about Rüya so far is a lie, so this probably is too...

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:55 AM, July 01, 2009 Blogger incunabular had this to say...

Glad you finally saw Star Trek. I thought it was fun too.

I liked the informality of the on-screen conversations (Hi, Cristopher... I'm Nero!). A humorous contrast with TNG's stuffiness.

 
At 8:40 AM, July 01, 2009 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

I was waiting to see it with my friend here in Tennessee ... didn't realize it would be good enough to see twice (or more!)...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->