Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Week in Entertainment

Film: I let my friend talk me into Star Trek again, and it was (as I had feared) a mistake. Not that the film isn't still enjoyable, but this time I was completely unable to ignore the fact that these writers know less about how the military - heck, any large organization - functions than even Roddenberry did. It's too bad...

DVD: The Mirror, a thoroughly delightful Iranian film with a kick of politics hidden behind its little-girl-lost story.

TV: American Masters Judy Garland bio, which was very well done. Murder is Easy, one of the new Miss Marple mysteries. They're not as captivating as the Joan Hickson ones, but much better than those irritating ones with Geraldine McEwan, though the fault there wasn't as much hers as it was the writers'.

Read: Finished The Black Book, which was a hard read. Not a bad book by any means, in fact a fascinating one, but a complex book, told in an oblique style and a complicated fashion. I have another Pamuk (My Name Is Red) - I'll see if this is typical of him. It was well worth the effort, but it's not a light novel by any means. Unlike JA Jance's Long Time Gone. I also read David Crystal's delightful autobiography Just A Phrase I'm Going Through.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->