Thursday, October 01, 2009

hotdog

At On the Other Hand Elizabeth reports that Opal loves hotdogs:
she decides that cold hotdogs are the world's most desirable food. (Organic, uncured, nitrate and nitrite free hotdogs. But nonetheless, hotdogs. Cold. Plain. Which she will eat for breakfast again tomorrow. With a banana.)
I find this odd.

Not so much that a young child loves hotdogs. Not even the spelling of it as "hotdog" instead of "hot dog".

It's that, for me, it's not a hot dog unless it's in a bun with condiments of some sort. Okay, maybe it could still be plain - but it has to be in a bun.

What Opal loves is wieners.

ps - my sister reminds me of "frank(furters)" but we never called them that; we just know the word.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:08 PM, October 01, 2009 Blogger fev had this to say...

This was so cool I coerced Language Czarina into participating in a homemade Breakfast Experiment (she's a native speaker, and we live like eight miles from where her parents met). She has "coney island" or "coney dog" for the thing on a bun with mustard and onions and chili, but "hot dog" for the cold version straight out of the package in the fridge.

Recalling far too many ads from the distant past, I wonder how and where this might be regionalized.

 
At 12:25 AM, October 02, 2009 Blogger Unknown had this to say...

Hmmm. "Hot dog" I'm good with, but it never occurred to me to call it something different plain and cold than in a bun. (Then again, it never occurred to me to eat one plain and cold, either.) To me, a wiener is a dog. I know that theoretically this is because it's named after the sausage-like thing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->