Thursday, October 29, 2009

UPS really does not give a damn about the receiver

So I had a delivery attempt today by UPS. Their little note says they'll be back tomorrow between 10:30 and 2:00.

Guess what? I won't be home then, either. I kind of have a job.

My old driver did in fact come around after 5:30, but he's gone. The new one clearly doesn't care if anybody is home to pick things up, or else he'd check the "after 5:00" box on the notice. And of course UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays. Their business model is back in the '50s, when every household had someone who could be at home all day, every day, just to wait on deliveries.

Their website offers me a chance to change the address to my workplace. I normally have things delivered there, anyway, but this is a new phone and they only shipped it to my home... Hmmm. For all I know, that's why the website gave me the result it did. See, first it told me it would cost $4 to make the change. Then it told me that "The Delivery Change Request could not be processed at this time. Please try again later or contact UPS." Grrr.

So I did contact them, by phone, and the cheery robot told me that she could help me for $6. Yes. They're charging me an extra 50% because their website didn't work.

Well, I didn't take her up on it. I put a "will call" notice at the website (which did work), and I'll either beg a ride or take the bus (I hope not the latter, the local bus will take 2 hours to get me to the place).

Clearly, UPS is only concerned with pleasing their customer - who is the person paying them to deliver it. They only make the slightest token effort to accommodate single working people who are the customers of those shippers... Since I can usually choose my shipping address, UPS users isn't on my "won't buy from you because of your shipping policies" list, like FedEx users are.

But still.... Grrrrr.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, October 30, 2009 Blogger Mark had this to say...

And then you have the drivers who leave packages in mailboxes when they are supposed to be signed for. My brother lost some ipods he had ordered for Christmas presents because the driver left the packages in front of his house and signed the delivery receipt himself.

 
At 1:33 PM, November 08, 2009 Anonymous Matthew had this to say...

I'm having a similar problem with them at the moment. The only delivery time they'll give me is between 9am and 7pm, thanks for narrowing that down a bit, during which time I'll be at work.

I was planning on picking it up from the depot yesterday but they don't open Saturdays for pickups.

I've tried to change the delivery address online to my parents house, a 10 minute walk from my house. It says try again later or call them. I call them, no one's there until tomorrow morning by which point its too late to change the address.

Seems the only option I have left is to get my mother to stay at my house all day which is pretty inconvenient.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->